Should I volunteer to take call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hobartpaver

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, help me out with this dilemma

I currently on a senior away rotation that I thought I would serve as sub-intern. Rather, I have been assignned a preceptor that is not on the floor, but is instead in clinics and surgeries. I've taken upon myself to go find the floor team to join them on off clinic days and on my preceptors non-surgery days and I round with them every morning and try to most afternoons. I was not assigned any schedule and the team has been really easy on me, allowing me to kind of come and go as I please.

I want to really shine on this rotation, it is rather short and I am hoping to pull a good grade and a LOR from my preceptor. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much interaction between my preceptor and my floor team, so I'm worried that I might be misguiding all my efforts. My chief has not mentioned any type of call for me, so I was considering asking him if it would be beneficial for me take one.

I really don't mind working hard, but I don't want to sacrifice time I have to study or rest to do work that may go unnoticed or worsen my performance around my preceptor. That's not saying that I only do work to get noticed, but I'm afraid I may be all crapped out my post call day with the preceptor, and I feel I need to conserve my energy to be more "peppy" during the day.

Just curious what your thoughts are on whether I should request call.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hobartpaver said:
Hi, help me out with this dilemma

I currently on a senior away rotation that I thought I would serve as sub-intern. Rather, I have been assignned a preceptor that is not on the floor, but is instead in clinics and surgeries. I've taken upon myself to go find the floor team to join them on off clinic days and on my preceptors non-surgery days and I round with them every morning and try to most afternoons. I was not assigned any schedule and the team has been really easy on me, allowing me to kind of come and go as I please.

I want to really shine on this rotation, it is rather short and I am hoping to pull a good grade and a LOR from my preceptor. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much interaction between my preceptor and my floor team, so I'm worried that I might be misguiding all my efforts. My chief has not mentioned any type of call for me, so I was considering asking him if it would be beneficial for me take one.

I really don't mind working hard, but I don't want to sacrifice time I have to study or rest to do work that may go unnoticed or worsen my performance around my preceptor. That's not saying that I only do work to get noticed, but I'm afraid I may be all crapped out my post call day with the preceptor, and I feel I need to conserve my energy to be more "peppy" during the day.

Just curious what your thoughts are on whether I should request call.
Thanks

Hey there,
Ask the chief resident about call. You probably do not have to take call but ask anyway. It shows that you know what's going on and most attendings are going to ask the chief resident to grade you anyway.
Good luck!
njbmd :)