Should I wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hieu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to apply this summer but I'm not sure if I am even competitive enough to get in. Can y'all give me some input?

I currently have an overall gpa of 3.84.
My science gpa is a 3.92 with only one B in Introduction to Biology I
Planning to take the Mcat this summer and hopefully get at least a 30 (if not, i'll definitely stay back)

ECs:

Fraternity and its Philanthropy
Volunteer at a Camp for diabilities during the spring break of freshman year.
Currently doing undergraduate research in a Biochemistry lab (will be a 1 year exp.)
Volunteering as a Hospice volunteer
Medical mission for a week during the summer of junior year
Shadowed around 50ish hours with Dermatologist and General Physician
I also done a couple of random volunteering events with my School
I'm in an Honors Program

I was hoping to apply to school like UAB and USA

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm planning to apply this summer but I'm not sure if I am even competitive enough to get in. Can y'all give me some input?

I currently have an overall gpa of 3.84.
My science gpa is a 3.92 with only one B in Introduction to Biology I
Planning to take the Mcat this summer and hopefully get at least a 30 (if not, i'll definitely stay back)

ECs:

Fraternity and its Philanthropy
Volunteer at a Camp for diabilities during the spring break of freshman year.
Currently doing undergraduate research in a Biochemistry lab (will be a 1 year exp.)
Volunteering as a Hospice volunteer
Medical mission for a week during the summer of junior year
Shadowed around 50ish hours with Dermatologist and General Physician
I also done a couple of random volunteering events with my School
I'm in an Honors Program

I was hoping to apply to school like UAB and USA

thanks
How long will you have been in the lab by June 1?
How long and how many hours at the hospice by June 1?
Besides the 1 week medical mission (what was your role, BTW?) and 1 week at the camp, what other community service have you done and what are the total hours for each?
Describe your role in your frat's philanthropy involvement?
Any teaching or leadership?
Any hobbies ar artistic endeavors?

I'll be in research lab and hospice for about a year.
I'm currently the supply chair for the medical trip so i assist in trying to gather up the necessity to help plan for the upcoming trips.
Our school has these service project each semester that I've doing(only did it two or three times for a total of 12ish hours)
I also worked on constructing and rennovating a buddhist temple (30ish hours)
I'm on the rush team and also the philanthropy team (so I help organize events)
Not any major leadership positions but I'm currently applying for one (not sure if it is too late)
I was head and center referee for highschool and middle school soccer
Hobbies (fishing, soccer, any outdoors):(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you volunteer or get paid to be a referee? How long did you do this?
Did you interact with patients on the mission trip?
What was your role in the camp?

It's not too late to try for another leadership position, as you can let schools know in future update letters. Don't you think that supply chair covers leadership, too?
Your research is about average for applicants. The hospice time is a bit low, but might be boosted if you had patient experience otherwise (per my questions above).
I'm happy to see a variety of community service, but I'm net yet sure how many of your activities would be in that category.
Be sure to include your hobbies and describe them in a way that communicates some passion.

Overall, I think you're probably fine to apply this summer, but I suggest continuing to gain clinical experience hours during the application season.

Last edited:
I was a paid referee and I did it for a year. There were some interaction with patients kind of. I help the nurse do small things such as health history, blood pressure, etc. I was essential a volunteer helping to renovate the camp since it was non profit. I'm also doing this monthly health clinic here in town so I'm also doing some patient interaction (blood pressure, Healy history,etc) but I only just recently started. By clinical hours, do you mean shadowing or volunteering at a hospital to have further interaction with the patient?

Thanks again for your time!

I was a paid referee and I did it for a year. There were some interaction with patients kind of. I help the nurse do small things such as health history, blood pressure, etc. I was essential a volunteer helping to renovate the camp since it was non profit. I'm also doing this monthly health clinic here in town so I'm also doing some patient interaction (blood pressure, Healy history,etc) but I only just recently started. By clinical hours, do you mean shadowing or volunteering at a hospital to have further interaction with the patient?

Thanks again for your time!
By saying "clinical experience hours" I am referring to volunteering or working where you actively engage or interact with patients. You can get this in the hospice and in the monthly health clinic in your town. You don't need to have hospital experience.

Shadowing is considered a passive observership where you focus on what a physician is doing. You already have 50 hours of shadowing, which is about the average number of hours listed, so I don't think you need to add more.