Should I wait or Should I go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJaysFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 3.95ish GPA, great ECs, int'l volunteering, research, leadership in clubs, hundreds of hours volunteering with all ages but low MCAT due to a 6 in verbal. I have spent three summers studying for the MCAT focusing my third time on verbal. That being said, English is my native tongue and my score is not indicative of my ability. I feel that I could get 8,9ish but prob not higher than that. My goal is to practice in Canada as I am a Canadian. My question is if I get into a DO school is that a better bet or should I wait for a year, try the mcat a 4th or 5th time and reapply to MD schools next cycle? Will the carrib be a better bet or would I be selling myself short?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.95 GPA and a fail verbal. How did you not flunk your Humanities classes.

3.95 GPA and a fail verbal. How did you not flunk your Humanities classes.

Dude learn to read. He's from Canada, so obviously because his classes were taught in Canadian. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently became aware of SDN's equivalent fro Canadian applicants. If you haven't explored it, here is the link to a years' long discussion thread on DOs in Canada: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

It pretty much discusses the pro and cons of each of your proposed routes to medicine, including UK med schools. Only you can decide your risk tolerance of each path, the importance of cost, time, and proximity to home. After three tries, a higher VS seems unlikely, but if you're feeling optimistic, I'd go for that option one more time.

What would I do? I'd take the DO path for access to the best possible residencies in North America, get a residency in a state bordering Canada, get licensed in a province/territory as close to home as possible, join the Canadian DO organization, and and take a leadership role in getting DOs as widely recognized/accepted in Canada as they've become in the US. And once you gain more expertise, come back to SDN and post widely to advise others in your same position.

Last edited:
I recently became aware of SDN's equivalent fro Canadian applicants. If you haven't explored it, here is the link to a years' long discussion thread on DOs in Canada: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

It pretty much discusses the pro and cons of each of your proposed routes to medicine, including UK med schools. Only you can decide your risk tolerance of each path, the importance of cost, time, and proximity to home. After three tries, a higher VS seems unlikely, but if you're feeling optimistic, I'd go for that option one more time.

What would I do? I'd take the DO path for access to the best possible residencies in North America, get a residency in a state bordering Canada, get licensed in a province/territory as close to home as possible, join the Canadian DO organization, and and take a leadership role in getting DOs as widely recognized/accepted in Canada as they've become in the US. And once you gain more expertise, come back to SDN and post widely to advise others in your same position.

:thumbup:

Pro.

Considering how OMM is iffy. (from SDN)
And considering that is pretty much the only difference in syllabus I can tell between MD and DO (from SDN).

I wonder why they dont just scrap the entire thing and change it to all MDs... why the segregation anyway?
(other than the fact that less competitive applicants apply to DO... but theres no need to segregate us anyway)

Hence, instead of garnering recognition for DOs. you should tell them to scrap that **** and make u guys all MDs.

Serious (and heck, you guys can still do OMM if you insist, I mean every school has a slightly diff syllabus rite?)

I wonder why they dont just scrap the entire thing and change it to all MDs... why the segregation anyway?
(other than the fact that less competitive applicants apply to DO... but theres no need to segregate us anyway)

Hence, instead of garnering recognition for DOs. you should tell them to scrap that **** and make u guys all MDs.
Yeah, if MBBS (or whatever UK's 6 year MD program is) are automatically MDs when they go to US or Canada, why can't a similiar equivalent degree be treated the same?

Bannie, did you know that Harvard med school teaches OMM as an elective course (I think it's only after the MD is earned though)?

OMM is 200 hours of instruction.

Yeah, if MBBS (or whatever UK's 6 year MD program is) are automatically MDs when they go to US or Canada, why can't a similiar equivalent degree be treated the same?

Bannie, did you know that Harvard med school teaches OMM as an elective course (I think it's only after the MD is earned though)?

Yep. Differentiating between the degrees just creates this unnecessary tension. In real life, and also on SDN:p

No, I did not. I am surprised to hear that too.

There must be some interest in that for it to be offered. But since its after MD... I probably wont be interested in staying just for that. (If I ever got to go in)