Should I wait or take my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,
I've been an SDNer for more than two years now and from what I've seen, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can definitely help me make my life easier.
I am a graduating senior from a well known university physiology/neuroscience major. I have a cGPA of 3.51 and sGPA of 3.42, but working on raising my GPA up by the end of the academic year. I took the old MCAT and scored a 24(6PS, 9VR, 9BS), which is very low for MD schools.
I have very good ECS:
4 years EMT, 1 year in lab research, 1 year clinical research, 250+ hours interning at a hospital with a leadership role, 50+ hours shadowing before the end of the year. I am also planning on tutoring as well as work as an ED tech during this coming year.
I have decided to retake my MCAT since I truly believe that MD schools will get me to what I want to do eventually, and has a larger number of residencies that I can match into. My MCAT will not be until August 21st, so the scores will not be released until ~September 20th.
Main Concerns:
I wanted to hear opinions on whether I should wait till next year to apply, or just shoot for my chances after I retake this summer?
Please feel free to say whatever you want, as it will be taken as advice and not a personal offense.
Thank you all for your input! you are all very awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait. Your stats now are bad. Nothing about your profile (mediocre GPA applicant wise, horrible MCAT) suggests that you are going to get a good enough MCAT to make up for having both a late application and low MCAT on record.

Look into DO schools (and maybe Podiatry), the mean and median for DO matriculants are 27.21 and 27.00 respectively (data found here: http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/matriculants ). The GPAs are 3.52 and 3.45 when you take into account Post-bacc GPA's, so if you can get your MCAT up a few points you could be a good applicant there.

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I'm retaking the MCAT this August! And applying after my retake!! Is that late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not apply MD this cycle. I think your MCAT might be okay for some DO schools, but still on the lower end for these schools (not sure which ones) if you choose to go that route. Your MCAT will be screened out at most MD schools if not all and your GPA isn't doing you any favors. You need to retake the MCAT and do well, and maybe try to bump up your GPA. I think if you get an excellent MCAT score you should be fine at lower tier MD schools with your current GPA.

Also, try to do some non-clinical volunteer work before you apply.

I can only see you potentially having a shot this cycle if you submit everything except your new MCAT score as soon as AMCAS opens, on top of crushing your MCAT (33+) in August.

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I'm retaking the MCAT this August! And applying after my retake!! Is that late?

Wait. Whether or not your score will improve significantly enough to make a difference is unknown. And even if it does, by the time it is released you'll be a late applicant. This is not the kind of thing to rush. Make sure you are the best candidate possible on the earliest possible date to apply.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it is generally bad to apply so late. My school recommends submitting AMCAS in late June/July and to have scores by then (from May administration at the latest). That way, you'll optimize your chances with schools with rolling admissions.

Wait until next year. It's better to apply early. It's not a race, don't be in such a hurry. Better to wait and apply when you're a stronger applicant than apply before you're ready and wasting time, money, and becoming a re-applicant.

If you apply now you will be reapplying next year. This process is brutal. It's good to remember there's thousands and thousands of applicants way better than you that have all done just as much and more.

Are you familiar with how long and painful the application process is? Essays and essays and applications and $fees and more essays and they all have to pop, stand out, and be absolutely perfect. It consumes a large part of your time. When would you study for the Mcat to jump from 24 to 30+?... Especially the new MCAT. Spend the entire summer studying for the Test like your entire future depends on it (cuz it does in terms of medicine). :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user