Should I wait til next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

def1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here but I've browsed around before and found the posts to be insightful. I'm a bit worried if I should still try to apply this year or wait until next year.

Overall GPA: 3.56
Major GPA: 3.89

Shadowed a physician for 2 weeks for about a total of 20 hours.
Just started volunteering at hospice but only have like 5 hours so far.
Volunteered for a special needs org for 20 hours.
Volunteered at a children hospital opening event.
Volunteered in a research lab for this whole year, currently working on a publication.

I took the MCAT in June 21st so Im waiting til the 24th to get my scores back. I was averaging 30s on all the AAMC practice tests and my highest was a 32. Im a bit worried about how I did on this MCAT though because the biology part discouraged me even though thats what I usually score highest on (usually 11 and 12s).

I know 3 professors that will write me letters ASAP. I have not started filling out the AMCAS yet though but I was planning on trying to get that done by the end of this week.

I'll be applying for all the MD schools in Texas. My long shot schools are columbia and john hopkins.

What is the best approach to take?

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do is apply next year unless you get a 30+. Your gpa is on the low side and a high mcat will help. Also, your ECs need a lot of improvement and seem very low right now. If you apply next cycle, improve your gpa to the 3.65+ range and add ECs to give yourself a better shot.

I'd vote wait for next cycle as well, for a couple of reasons:
1) Study more for MCATs and do well enough to compensate for the average-ish GPA
2) You're already fairly late this year, considering how slow the verification process is, and you haven't even started the primary...
3) Your ECs could definitely use some improvement. Try doing more long-term activities.

No need to rush it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing to do is apply next year unless you get a 30+. Your gpa is on the low side and a high mcat will help. Also, your ECs need a lot of improvement and seem very low right now. If you apply next cycle, improve your gpa to the 3.65+ range and add ECs to give yourself a better shot.

This. The GPA doesn't matter as much, but given the fact that your ECs are where they are, the GPA definitely needs some work. As Ironmandoc mentioned, rock the MCAT, improve your ECs and see if you can bump up the gpa while you're at it.

Apply next year. Remember, applying early is very critical for this process, if you want to maximize your chances in getting in. By applying next year, you have essentially until May to get all of your PS, LORs, and your activities/resume straightened out for application.

Don't hold off on the PS. It takes a WHILE to develop a good one.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

I get my MCAT scores on Tuesday? If I get a 30 or above should I still wait til next cycle?

By the way I was told for the Med Schools in Texas you don't use the AMCAS, you use the TMDSAS so Im not sure if that makes a difference in how long it takes to get verified.

Also I am hispanic so Im not sure how that helps my chances.

If I do have to wait til next cycle, what should I be doing during that time? My GPA should rise to at least a 3.6 at the end of the fall semester and after that I graduate, so Im not sure what I should do to keep myself busy in Spring besides volunteering and shadowing.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

I get my MCAT scores on Tuesday? If I get a 30 or above should I still wait til next cycle?

By the way I was told for the Med Schools in Texas you don't use the AMCAS, you use the TMDSAS so Im not sure if that makes a difference in how long it takes to get verified.

Also I am hispanic so Im not sure how that helps my chances.

If I do have to wait til next cycle, what should I be doing during that time? My GPA should rise to at least a 3.6 at the end of the fall semester and after that I graduate, so Im not sure what I should do to keep myself busy in Spring besides volunteering and shadowing.
i think you should wait until next year regardless of your mcat. do not underestimate the time it takes to put together a well-written primary app. plus as someone above said verification is moving at a snail's pace for amcas, i'm not sure how the texas app works. if youre a tex resident and only want to apply to those schools it might be a different story? somoene else can comment on that.

basically best case scenario for amcas:
-you get your mcat score tues, finish your primary app a few days later (this is not a recommended time limit btw, but I think this is the fastest one could reasonably "throw it together")
-you submit by July 27th.
- the way things are going, you're verified at the end of August
-you get secondaries and send them in by mid September..somewhat late, but not the end of the world

now all of the potential problems with this course of action:
-your professors dont write your letters in a timely manner, delaying your applications from being complete (THIS seems to happen really often..)
-you rush through your primary app so quickly your EC descriptions and personal statement are so poorly written your app gets thrown to the side
-verification slows down even more in the next few months, delaying you even more

overall being hispanic is hugely beneficial, and it is reasonable to call it a "game changer." esp with your good GPA. if you get a 30, and the stars align you might just get lucky. but I think it would save you a lot of stress over the next few weeks to just make the decision to wait

If you happen to have scored >30 on the MCAT, apply this cycle. Don't fall victim to the ridiculous neuroticism that SDN perpetuates about late applications; it's still JULY! If you begin writing your personal statement and filling out your TMDAS now, you'll have your application complete in a reasonable amount of time. Considering you're also URM, you have a very good chance at some great schools without having to take a gap year.

Good luck, OP!

TMDSAS takes about 2 weeks to transmit your app, but that means schools will get it around august. dean of admissions at UT Houston told me thats late. i would consider waiting a year and working on your ec's. you might have a shot at el paso (if you score >27) but you would have to submit your app ASAP, like today if possible (you have to mail in your fee and they dont start processing until AFTER they get your money). TCOM would be possible shot too if youre not interested in waiting a year. if you dont get your app done for TMDSAS within the next few days, wait a year or otherwise you'll end up being a reapplicant.

Well I've already written my Personal Statement and Other essays, so Im just waiting til tuesday to check my MCAT score and submit the TMDSAS. I definitely think I got above a 27 on the MCAT probably closer to a 30 or higher.

I think its crazy they keep applications open til October if July/August is considered late.

its considered late because schools have already started handing out interview invites. the october deadline is (in my opinion) for them to make a little bit more money on apps and for people with 4.0, high MCAT (40's) and acceptable amount of EC's.