Should I wait to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris004

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for 2 or so years due to family problems and I was going to apply this application cycle, but I feel I am unprepared for my DAT. Currently I'm going to take the DAT June 8th(which means my committee letters will be sent around june 15th). Should I spend 10 hours a day studying for the DAT for a month or add two or more weeks to give me more time to study? I'm going through destroyer and bootcamp at the moment, but I feel I am weak in chemistry and o chem.

I got a 3.1 overall GPA and 2.7 science GPA, then did a postbac program and got a 3.95 GPA and boosted my science GPA to 3.23 and 3.34 overall GPA. What do you recommend is a good score I should aim for knowing that I took a postbac program?

Would submitting early july or late june be too late? Should I add a few weeks so I can work on my application on may 15th and submit it june 1st(a week break from studying for the DAT, but completing it later, say like june 20th or so? Should I just take it june 8th then work on the application after june 8th? Or should I just work on my application, submit it like june 1st then wait till july to take my DAT? I feel like the DAT will be a deal breaker for me even with my volunteering/shadowing/service.

Also a quick DAT question. Do you also believe mike's videos are better than chad videos to review chem/ochem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been out of school for 2 or so years due to family problems and I was going to apply this application cycle, but I feel I am unprepared for my DAT. Currently I'm going to take the DAT June 8th(which means my committee letters will be sent around june 15th). Should I spend 10 hours a day studying for the DAT for a month or add two or more weeks to give me more time to study? I'm going through destroyer and bootcamp at the moment, but I feel I am weak in chemistry and o chem.

I got a 3.1 overall GPA and 2.7 science GPA, then did a postbac program and got a 3.95 GPA and boosted my science GPA to 3.23 and 3.34 overall GPA. What do you recommend is a good score I should aim for knowing that I took a postbac program?

Would submitting early july or late june be too late? Should I add a few weeks so I can work on my application on may 15th and submit it june 1st(a week break from studying for the DAT, but completing it later, say like june 20th or so? Should I just take it june 8th then work on the application after june 8th? Or should I just work on my application, submit it like june 1st then wait till july to take my DAT? I feel like the DAT will be a deal breaker for me even with my volunteering/shadowing/service.

Also a quick DAT question. Do you also believe mike's videos are better than chad videos to review chem/ochem?
Applying late June or early July is still considered early for most schools so if you need more time, then go for it. Try to aim for a 21 or higher. I used only chads videos as mikes videos weren’t complete when I was studying and I got 25s on both ochem and chem. Tyjacobs’ notes were also very helpful.

I used Chads. Also if you don't feel ready you need to add more time. Good luck.

If you can get another 2 points on your DAT with another month of studying, then applying in July>>>>>>applying in June