Should I wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hey so I'm a junior and want to apply this cycle. I'm a URM and have a 3.85 at top state public school with hopeful 515+ on mcat. However, I have over 1000 hours or different research (genetics, nephrology, cancer) but only 100 hours of shadowing in 1 specialty last semester and practically no other clinical experience unless folding sheets at a VA clinic means anything and hope to get some this more semester (potential vaccine administration). I wasn't really able to get clinical experience freshman year and first half of sophomore before Covid mostly cause I was broke and worked and didn't have a car to leave campus. My goal schools are like Washu and Georgetown who say they are interested in research but I'm wondering if I currently have a good chance or should take a gap year for more clinical experience

Members don't see this ad.

Gap year for clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering. It's critical that you have some of each. You're on track though.

Reactions: 1 user
I have around 500 hours of non-clinical volunteering over the last 3 years and am getting more now would you say if I work as a clinical volunteer for this semester and stick with it and show my expected hours on my app for the next year that can show I'm really in this. I don't want to it to look like I'm checking some box because I volunteered at the VA for about 100hrs in the summer of my freshman year thinking I would get patient interaction but ended up delivering carts, setting up rooms and occasionally helping someone in a wheelchair leave. I can write about my experiences in the clinic I shadowed in because they let me be really hands on ie taking dopplers, checking pulses, aneurysms, and basic wound care. In admission sessions they say they understand we would have less but just how much less. It also seems practically every pre-med is waiting for similar and the 2022 cycle will be incredibly competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice work on the non-clinical volunteering. I'm no AdCom, but if you can get maybe 200-250 hours of clinical experience (direct patient exposure) between now and June, I think you'd be ok. It would be on the lower end but sufficient. That's about 10-12 hours a week. Some primary care shadowing would be good too (maybe 20 hours). MCAT is going to be the key. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I have around 500 hours of non-clinical volunteering over the last 3 years and am getting more now would you say if I work as a clinical volunteer for this semester and stick with it and show my expected hours on my app for the next year that can show I'm really in this. I don't want to it to look like I'm checking some box because I volunteered at the VA for about 100hrs in the summer of my freshman year thinking I would get patient interaction but ended up delivering carts, setting up rooms and occasionally helping someone in a wheelchair leave. I can write about my experiences in the clinic I shadowed in because they let me be really hands on ie taking dopplers, checking pulses, aneurysms, and basic wound care. In admission sessions they say they understand we would have less but just how much less. It also seems practically every pre-med is waiting for similar and the 2022 cycle will be incredibly competitive.

Include your VA experience, and spin it positively. If you do clinical volunteering this semester too and going forward, I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users