Should I withdraw my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

causalinference

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the problem. I have no physician shadowing or clinical volunteer experience. I also couldn't afford to apply to more than 6 schools due to severe financial constraints.

You can see from my MDApplicants profile that I have the following stats:

GPA: 3.76
BCPM: 3.67
AO: 4.00
MCAT: Verbal: 11, Physical: 10, Biological: 11, Writing: N

I have a lot of research and tutoring experience, but absolutely nothing else.

Let me ask you this: should I even bother with secondaries, or should I put off my application for another year while I increase my GPA, build more research experience, and more importantly, gain as much clinical experience as possible? Would I be able to get into any state schools right now with my current application? Tomorrow I'm going to call the local hospital and make arrangements to begin volunteering, so I would probably have something to say during interviews.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you withdraw your app? If you've already submitted the primary, you might as well bite the bullet and follow through. Having no clinical experience at all is going to seriously damage your candidacy, but the rest of your stats are good. It's worth a shot. If nothing else, you're setting yourself up to show schools how much improved come next cycle.

For your financial constraints, have you looked into getting the secondary fees waived? Are you (and did you apply as) financially disadvantaged? You might be able to save yourself hundreds of dollars by making a few phone calls.

How do you know what you're getting into? How could you possibly have insight into what it will be like and why you are volunteering to put yourself through the next 7-10 years of training before another 30 of practice?!

Tell us that. If you can't, then cut your losses and don't waste your money on continuing with applying this year. But, when you gain a good amount of experience in the next 12 months, you will be golden for next year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already submitted your primary, I think you should follow it through. Definitely start clinical volunteering and/or shadowing ASAP, and send an update letter knowing the schools that, perhaps in September(?). I've also heard that if you're applying MD/PhD, schools may be more lenient if you have great research experience and not much clinical experience. Accordingly, but getting some now, you may actually have a decent shot at UIC. Also, since you've already submitted your primary, if you withdrew your apps, you'd still be considered a reapplicant at those schools next year (which usually means an extra essay detailing what you've done to improve your app). That's not a deal breaker here, but just something to keep in mind.

Personally, I think you should submit the secondaries and follow this through if you are confident you know what you're getting into without the formal/official clinical exposure. Especially if you'd rather not wait a year. You may get in somewhere, and all it takes is one. But if you have any doubts about med school or being a doctor (i.e., if a straight PhD might be better for you), definitely take a year to check that out.

And if you do reapply, definitely look into the fee assistance program to get the fees waived. If you apply next year with a year of clinical experience, you'll have a great app and will have a bunch of options. There's nothing wrong with waiting a year if that's what you decide is best for you.

Good luck! :luck:

Here is the problem. I have no physician shadowing or clinical volunteer experience. I also couldn't afford to apply to more than 6 schools due to severe financial constraints.

You can see from my MDApplicants profile that I have the following stats:

GPA: 3.76
BCPM: 3.67
AO: 4.00
MCAT: Verbal: 11, Physical: 10, Biological: 11, Writing: N

I have a lot of research and tutoring experience, but absolutely nothing else.

Let me ask you this: should I even bother with secondaries, or should I put off my application for another year while I increase my GPA, build more research experience, and more importantly, gain as much clinical experience as possible? Would I be able to get into any state schools right now with my current application? Tomorrow I'm going to call the local hospital and make arrangements to begin volunteering, so I would probably have something to say during interviews.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Why are you applying to medical school? Just an honest, friendly question...adcoms will ask the same thing, but perhaps a little more intensely.

It is possible to get in without clinical experience, so I wouldn't withdraw the app (especially because you have good stats). But it is a big hit to your app so start shadowing or volunteering in a hospital asap. As already stated above, if you are MD/phd then schools will be more lenient towards you without clinical experience.

Sure, you have a shot. Other people get in with no clinical experience, but I can't possibly imagine why they're allowed in. As the applicant pool gets stronger each year, you are at a distinct disadvantage over others with countless hours spent with docs and patients.

You mentioned financial issues. If this wasn't a problem, I'd say "go ahead and try--couldn't hurt!" However you're hurting after $300 on the primary. The secondaries will cost another $300-$500 (I don't know the app fees for your schools). Interviews will also set you back a few hundred each. I'd usually say that if you're getting interviews, you'll probably be OK. However, in your case, I imagine you'll take some heat for the lack of clinical exposure. You could possibly interview at all of your schools, given your good numbers, then subsequently get passed over if you don't have compelling motivation for med school. This wouldn't be surprising, at all.

However, only you know if the time and money will be worth it for you, this year. Either way, be assured that you will be on easy street next year, if you get some clinical hours. :thumbup:

Beginning January 2006, AAMC changed eligibility guidelines of the program so more students can qualify for fee waivers. Now, students eligible for Fee Assistance Program can have annual family incomes up to twice the federal poverty level. For 2006, the poverty level for a family of four is $20,000. Look into the program.
Also, look for a free clinic in your area and spend some time this summer and the fall volunteering. The clinic would appreciate the help and you can see medicine in a challenging environment.