Should i withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrea368

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem that im am really struggling with. I started college like many and got a 2.6 my first semester. I am now a junior, my gpa is up to a 3.4 and i earned straight A's last semester with 21 credits and classes such as molecular genetics and limnology (both grad classes), biochemistry and retaking gen chem 1. Every semester my gpa has increased with last semester ending up as a 3.79. So far this semester i am taking 17 credits and earning A's in all except.... physics. Due to a misintepretation i am taking the calc based course with all the physics and chem majors and i feel like an idiot. I am not in danger of failing the course however it looks like i will pull a C. I have recently applied to a study abroad program in Austrailia for the fall. However this means i would not be able to take the second half of the physics calc based sequence so i would have to take the general second half physics in the spring. Basically i would be making up my own 201/106 sequence. The program isnt thrilled about this but they are willing to make an exception.

Here is what i was considering doing...

Dropping the calc based physics i am in now which will leave me at 13 credits and take the general physics at home before i head to australia and therefore will have the normal 105/106 sequence. And i feel like i could ace it at home because ive already learned so much. Also withdrawing would free up soo much time that im almsot positive i could ace this semester again.

Or do i grit my teeth take a C (even though i dont know if my gpa can take it) because a W and a 13 credit semester would look worse?

Just as a side note, ive never taken a semeser below 17 credits since freshman year.

Members don't see this ad.

My 1 word answer. No.

If you drop it will look like you cant handle the load, and what will it look like when you get to d-school where you are taking 23+ units a semester. you have to show you can handle the work load, and arent affraid of a challenge.

I got C's in calc based physics and I still got in, so it can be done.