Medical Should I write about My Institutional action as a failure/ regretful decision for the Secondary Med school App question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

1) What is your opinion on writing about your institutional action as a failure after writing about it in primary? Do you think its a good idea OR is brining it up again after reporting/ writing about it in the primaries too much? My other option was academic failure (many Cs and a C- (retook C- class and got A) in undergrad. Let me know your thoughts.
2 )Do you think I can talk about both the IA (briefly discuss failure in ethical character/ respect) AND also talk about my academic failure? (prompt below)

Prompt: Recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

I want to make it clear that the IA was a significant failure and regretful decision (it stemmed from a relationship issue and regretful decision on my behalf that resulted in an IA (non violent, non sexual, no legal action taken))- this was an experience that resulted in a lot of personal growth and reflection.

I also think it would be a good idea to address my academic failure (underestimate studying required, failing to know what I do not know, ect) and then highlight how my grades were a wakeup call on what changes I needed to make in order to be a successful medical student (and eventually physician).

THANK YOU for taking the time to read this.

(From introspection and advice I have sought out, the IA itself may not be the downfall in my app but the sum my shortcoming might be)
Not a fan of bringing attention to a negative.

Adcoms prefer that you discuss things that are outside of schooling as well. We like to know that you have actual lives.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your opinion, Goro. So you don’t recommend discussion of any academic failure for this prompt? It’s the only place in the secondary to possibly discuss it.

What about professional failures outside of school (job or research)?

This other one I was thinking of was during my training to become a rescue diver. At first I didn’t succeed in my first attempt at on surface (of the ocean) rescue breathing and towing of an unconscious scuba diver (simulated training exercise) to safety. I would discuss how I addressed my weakness and then succeeded in my next attempt.

OR

Perhaps a different one that has to do with a friend issue?

Not sure if multiple people can comment here but many expert opinions are welcome!!

(I would prefer not to make this visible on main page)
Goro and I have read more than a good share of personal statements so we're pretty knowledgeable when we comment. I'm sort of worried by what seems to be an obsession with failure as a starting point. Of the thousands of essays I read in screening for interviews, any essay that could take a real downturn is going to worry me. We all learn from failures, and you will continue to learn from mistakes, errors, and mistakes in school, at work...

But as someone who could be your patient, I don't want to hear about your failures. I want to know how you would take care of my problems. How do you listen to others when they make mistakes and have to cope with those consequences, often without family support? Have you ever helped anyone in that sort of bind?

Mr. Smile, thank you for the input. This failure question is not for my personal statement. It is for a school specific prompt. My personal statement was very different.

I am just confused as to what is appropriate to write about given the prompt:
“Recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?”
Okay, I see. I've asked that question in interviews before and had to answer that question.

For IA's there's usually a specific prompt asking you about it, usually in the central application before you get a secondary so I hope you answered it there. That's the reason why I wouldn't want to go into the IA as your first response on an essay. (Younmay have to in interviews.)

I guess it depends on what you mean by failure. To me it revolves around setting goals and missing them. When people plagiarize, cheat on a test. or get caught drinking in a dorm room, there's not a goals setting step involved. Does this help?

Thank you for your opinion, Goro. So you don’t recommend discussion of any academic failure for this prompt? It’s the only place in the secondary to possibly discuss it.

What about professional failures outside of school (job or research)?

This other one I was thinking of was during my training to become a rescue diver. At first I didn’t succeed in my first attempt at on surface (of the ocean) rescue breathing and towing of an unconscious scuba diver (simulated training exercise) to safety. I would discuss how I addressed my weakness and then succeeded in my next attempt.

OR

Perhaps a different one that has to do with a friend issue?

Not sure if multiple people can comment here but many expert opinions are welcome!!

(I would prefer not to make this visible on main page)
You discuss it in the box that you have to check off.

Own it. No excuses. Explain how far you've come. End of story

Status
Not open for further replies.