Should I write an addendum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgruber3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a post-bacc program through my university. I want to explain the reason for a "C" on my transcript, although I don't know if it's appropriate to explain. I took a summer writing class online and received high marks on all of my assignments until the final paper. I wrote the final draft for which I received an "A." I made slight revisions but ultimately decided my rough draft was sufficient to be turned in for the final. The professor, at least I think, gave me an "F" on the paper because I did not re-write the whole thing. Should I explain this in an addendum or would it hurt my case?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found that any attempt to explain stuff like this just comes off looking like an excuse.

I'm applying for a post-bacc program through my university. I want to explain the reason for a "C" on my transcript, although I don't know if it's appropriate to explain. I took a summer writing class online and received high marks on all of my assignments until the final paper. I wrote the final draft for which I received an "A." I made slight revisions but ultimately decided my rough draft was sufficient to be turned in for the final. The professor, at least I think, gave me an "F" on the paper because I did not re-write the whole thing. Should I explain this in an addendum or would it hurt my case?

I've found that any attempt to explain stuff like this just comes off looking like an excuse.

I'm not the expert Goro or others are here, but I have to agree.

Regardless of what you say, in my mind, I'd be asking, "Why didn't he just re-write the paper as suggested by the professor?" It's the student's job to try to find out where the professor has sound points on the re-write and take her/his suggestions seriously. People have to re-write all the time for publication. Shoot, I like to write, and beyond stupid typos and so forth, I still find I could re-write things dozens of times or more. Mostly writing is very much about re-writing--whether it is for strength of thesis or proper used of evidence and the associated/approved devices for this, syntax, straight-up content, or for the purpose of making strong points, while being more succinct. In my opinion, writing is often a lot more work than preparing for some exams. Follow the directions and rubrics, and meet with the professor to find out exactly what he/she is looking for in a re-write. IDK, maybe private schools are more accommodating in this regard, but I believe all professors must have some office-hour time.

Finally, right or wrong, in most cases, the professor is the final word--even when you think you have a shot with going over his/her head with the dean. (I've seen students do this, and IMHO, a person should only do this for a very strong reason and with evidence or support--for something like sexual harassment or demonstrated inconsistencies--such as going way off the path of their established rubrics.) 99.9% of the time, the dean and administration will back up the professor. So, it may sound strong, but in general, the professor is something akin to the deity of the classroom. But in all honesty, if the professor or even TA wanted you to re-write, you re-write. Some professors even offer pre-reads of second drafts and will make notes and give them back to you. Not all of them will, but some will. I received an 88 on a research-based paper--first draft, once, which I worked hard on and killed myself to meet all the rubrics and present strong substance. Instead of getting pissed or blowing the prof office, I made an appointment and spoke with her in person. It ended up being very productive. Too many people don't take advantage of making appointments and using the email and professor's office hours. Bottom line is I shut my mouth, listened and heard what she was saying, asked honest, non-defensive questions, and took her advice. I got an A in the course.

So, to answer your question, no. You didn't strive to meet the rubrics, and there's no sound rationale for no doing so. If asked about it, be honest, and say it was a lessoned learned.

Last edited: