Should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll get right to the point. I am DEBATING on scheduling my MCAT for May 19th, but I am missing Orgo I, II, and Biochem (Stupid, ridiculous, and many other words… I know). Let me explain what I am doing to learn the material. There is a website called Clutch Prep I’ve been using. Pretty much you pay $30.00 a month and they tutor you in whatever course you are in, plus they use the books you select. So far I am three chapters ahead of my classmates in Orgo I and relearning old courses. The only reason applying this early has crossed my mind is because the college I attend has an agreement with certain programs. If you finish with your Undergrad degree and maintain a 3.5 GPA< you earn a guaranteed acceptance WITHOUT the MCAT (Wish I knew about this earlier). Anyways, I transferred to the college for Graduate school (Long story), and now I am an Undergrad student. I spoke with the Pre-med advisor and they are offering me a guaranteed interview slot, but I have to follow all of their requirements. So far I am doing great, but the MCAT is scaring the life out of me. She told me to take my MCAT no matter what, but I am a little hesitant and I believe I have to score a 499+. She told me in the past few years only a few students use this route, so I am wondering if I am making the right decision. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ll get right to the point. I am DEBATING on scheduling my MCAT for May 19th, but I am missing Orgo I, II, and Biochem (Stupid, ridiculous, and many other words… I know). Let me explain what I am doing to learn the material. There is a website called Clutch Prep I’ve been using. Pretty much you pay $30.00 a month and they tutor you in whatever course you are in, plus they use the books you select. So far I am three chapters ahead of my classmates in Orgo I and relearning old courses. The only reason applying this early has crossed my mind is because the college I attend has an agreement with certain programs. If you finish with your Undergrad degree and maintain a 3.5 GPA< you earn a guaranteed acceptance WITHOUT the MCAT (Wish I knew about this earlier). Anyways, I transferred to the college for Graduate school (Long story), and now I am an Undergrad student. I spoke with the Pre-med advisor and they are offering me a guaranteed interview slot, but I have to follow all of their requirements. So far I am doing great, but the MCAT is scaring the life out of me. She told me to take my MCAT no matter what, but I am a little hesitant and I believe I have to score a 499+. She told me in the past few years only a few students use this route, so I am wondering if I am making the right decision. Any thoughts?
No one is going to be able to give you clear answers without knowing the program.

Also, if it's not GUARANTEED ACCEPTANCE, you need to take those classes, study for the MCAT/do well, and have the ability to apply to other programs if the one at your school doesn't work out. And "doing well" does not mean 499+, it means 504+ for DO and 508+ for MD.

Also also, if few students do it, it's not likely to work out the way you want it. Be smart about this.

Reactions: 1 user
No one is going to be able to give you clear answers without knowing the program.

Also, if it's not GUARANTEED ACCEPTANCE, you need to take those classes, study for the MCAT/do well, and have the ability to apply to other programs if the one at your school doesn't work out. And "doing well" does not mean 499+, it means 504+ for DO and 508+ for MD.

Also also, if few students do it, it's not likely to work out the way you want it. Be smart about this.

Thank you! Auburn VCOM is the program, and they haven't graduated their first class yet. I spoke with their admissions and the average MCAT is a 499. I should have elaborated on the "few students do it." The college I attend have very few applicants that apply to med school. They have x amount of slots in certain programs, but they don't have students that are willing to go. But I guess I need to weigh my options and figure out what is best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Auburn VCOM is the program, and they haven't graduated their first class yet. I spoke with their admissions and the average MCAT is a 499. I should have elaborated on the "few students do it." The college I attend have very few applicants that apply to med school. They have x amount of slots in certain programs, but they don't have students that are willing to go. But I guess I need to weigh my options and figure out what is best.
Something seems off about a 499 MCAT average as that's incredibly low. I think what I said still stands. If you have a solid GPA, a 502+ (preferably 504+) should be doable for you, and then you will have options if VCOM doesn't pan out. But don't take the MCAT without those three classes you're missing. It's an exam you only want to have to take once.

Something seems off about a 499 MCAT average as that's incredibly low. I think what I said still stands. If you have a solid GPA, a 502+ (preferably 504+) should be doable for you, and then you will have options if VCOM doesn't pan out. But don't take the MCAT without those three classes you're missing. It's an exam you only want to have to take once.
499 is a 25 on the old MCAT(exactly 50th percentile) I could buy that a new program without a graduating class might have that average.

Reactions: 2 users

I had to find the email again, but it is a 499. I assume the average will go up after they graduate a class or two, but you are correct. I know I should wait... It just stinks having to delay my app by a year :bang:

499 is a 25 on the old MCAT(exactly 50th percentile) I could buy that a new program without a graduating class might have that average.
So you think it's possible VCOM's admitted student average is 499? I guess when you frame it as a 25 it makes sense.

I really wouldn't take it without bio chem man. Somewhere on the internet there is a pie chart breakdown of the new MCAT and biochemistry is a huge chunk of it. I've heard also that even the "o chem" questions are now often based in biochemistry or have some kind of component related to the citric acid cycle or what have you.

You can't take biochemistry somewhere this semester? like, any school within a 45 min drive of you?

Either way good luck, but I'd really recommend getting that class under your belt first.

It honestly felt like 85% of the passages on on my MCAT science sections were scholary biochemistry articles. The questions about genchem, physics, bio, and orgo would then be drawn from that scholarly biochem article. I took it without Biochem since im non trad and didnt want to wait another year. Don't be like me

Something seems off about a 499 MCAT average as that's incredibly low.

So you think it's possible VCOM's admitted student average is 499? I guess when you frame it as a 25 it makes sense.

Yeah it actually doesn't surprise me at all. LUCOM had a 24 average their first class which would be even lower like a 497-498. Also VCOM is in Alabama and doesn't have the same draw as ACOM because they don't get to use AMEC from my understanding,

OP, I would just take those classes and then prep your butt off for the MCAT. You can do better than VCOM-Auburn

I really wouldn't take it without bio chem man. Somewhere on the internet there is a pie chart breakdown of the new MCAT and biochemistry is a huge chunk of it. I've heard also that even the "o chem" questions are now often based in biochemistry or have some kind of component related to the citric acid cycle or what have you.

You can't take biochemistry somewhere this semester? like, any school within a 45 min drive of you?

Either way good luck, but I'd really recommend getting that class under your belt first.
Sadly, I missed the deadline at our school by one day. The advisor told me she could have persuaded the Biochem professor to let me take her class. So now I am pretty much crap out of luck... unless I take it at UNE online. Thank you for the encouragement!

Sadly, I missed the deadline at our school by one day. The advisor told me she could have persuaded the Biochem professor to let me take her class. So now I am pretty much crap out of luck... unless I take it at UNE online. Thank you for the encouragement!

Ive seen good reviews of the UNE bio chem. Either way good luck man! But ultimately if you end up waiting an extra year, in the grand scheme of things it won't be that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 users
It honestly felt like 85% of the passages on on my MCAT science sections were scholary biochemistry articles. The questions about genchem, physics, bio, and orgo would then be drawn from that scholarly biochem article. I took it without Biochem since im non trad and didnt want to wait another year. Don't be like me
Yeah it actually doesn't surprise me at all. LUCOM had a 24 average their first class which would be even lower like a 497-498. Also VCOM is in Alabama and doesn't have the same draw as ACOM because they don't get to use AMEC from my understanding,

OP, I would just take those classes and then prep your butt off for the MCAT. You can do better than VCOM-Auburn

Crap... I guess I will be considered non trad next year (24 yrs. old). I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent waiting another year, but it is seeming inevitable.

YUP! A lot of my friends are going to ACOM because of that reason. If you don't mind me asking @AnatomyGrey12 will it be difficult to find a good residency program after/if I complete VCOM-Auburn? We have an agreement with PCOM in GA and Philadelphia, but I haven't heard much about their programs. Honestly, I've been to caught up in getting all of these classes in and getting shadowing hours. :help:

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap... I guess I will be considered non trad next year (24 yrs. old). I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent waiting another year, but it is seeming inevitable.

YUP! A lot of my friends are going to ACOM because of that reason. If you don't mind me asking @AnatomyGrey12 will it be difficult to find a good residency program after/if I complete VCOM-Auburn? We have an agreement with PCOM in GA and Philadelphia, but I haven't heard much about their programs. Honestly, I've been to caught up in getting all of these classes in and getting shadowing hours. :help:

No harder than any other new school grad. Honestly getting the residency you want is 98% on you, especially without home programs. The school may help a little bit is largely irrelevant. Just work as hard as you can and focus on getting into the

The PCOM programs are great but they favor their own and I highly doubt they will give any preference to VCOM-A students just because they rotate in some of their rotation spots.

Honestly just work your hardest and get into the best school you can. Once you are there just keep working hard to get the residency you want.

I'll be 25 when I start this summer, it's okay. It's not a process you wanna rush so just put your head down, grind it out and you'll be thankful you did it the "right" way because you'll likely end up at the school that's the best fit for you instead of the quickest way in.

No harder than any other new school grad. Honestly getting the residency you want is 98% on you, especially without home programs. The school may help a little bit is largely irrelevant. Just work as hard as you can and focus on getting into the

The PCOM programs are great but they favor their own and I highly doubt they will give any preference to VCOM-A students just because they rotate in some of their rotation spots.

Honestly just work your hardest and get into the best school you can. Once you are there just keep working hard to get the residency you want.
I'll be 25 when I start this summer, it's okay. It's not a process you wanna rush so just put your head down, grind it out and you'll be thankful you did it the "right" way because you'll likely end up at the school that's the best fit for you instead of the quickest way in.

Good... That is one thing I've been concerned with for the past few weeks. I was a PT student, so when I hear about new programs opening it worries me a little bit. Looks like I just need to work my tail off for the next few years.

True. I guess all I have is time haha. No reason to rush into things quick.

The average age of medical students is increasing and even more so for DOs because they value reinvention and life experience. You will still be around the median at 24, probably a little low.

I'd say take the classes, you'll need them for MCAT and beyond... I guess Sim considered a non trad after my bday in Dec. Vcom have a post bacc program that guaranteed admission if you make a 494 on the MCAT and maintain a 3.6 in the program. I don't think you're talking about that? That program is in Virginia though...

The average age of medical students is increasing and even more so for DOs because they value reinvention and life experience. You will still be around the median at 24, probably a little low.
I never knew that! I was hoping to finish residency before 35, but I guess I'll finish when I'm supposed to.

I'd say take the classes, you'll need them for MCAT and beyond... I guess Sim considered a non trad after my bday in Dec. Vcom have a post bacc program that guaranteed admission if you make a 494 on the MCAT and maintain a 3.6 in the program. I don't think you're talking about that? That program is in Virginia though...
Very true. The advisor told me to take Biochem in the summer and self-study for Biochem for the MCAT. It is scary knowing how much they are expecting me to do in four months. I wanted to start the program, but like you said, it is in Virginia. Auburn only offers a random program, but I don't believe it guarantees an acceptance:arghh:

I never knew that! I was hoping to finish residency before 35, but I guess I'll finish when I'm supposed to.

Very true. The advisor told me to take Biochem in the summer and self-study for Biochem for the MCAT. It is scary knowing how much they are expecting me to do in four months. I wanted to start the program, but like you said, it is in Virginia. Auburn only offers a random program, but I don't believe it guarantees an acceptance:arghh:
Yeah, one thing I've learned about pursuing medicine is do what's best for you, even if it takes a little longer than the average person. Yeah, if it doesn't guarantee acceptance don't waste your time or money...

It is extremely foolish for even considering taking this exam while being so poorly prepared.

You're just asking never to be a doctor. Suppose you bomb your interview?

They also had a ~88% first time pass rate for COMLEX, which is awful. There's a connection.

I'll be 26 when I start med school this summer, no regrets! Reiterating what others have said, do not take the MCAT without biochem. I think you could get by learning orgo through outside sources depending on the effort you put in. My MCAT felt like it was 90% biochem...10% obscure physics formulas.

It is extremely foolish for even considering taking this exam while being so poorly prepared.

You're just asking never to be a doctor. Suppose you bomb your interview?
I appreciate the honesty. Like I said in my post, I'm just going by the advisement of my Pre-med advisor.

I appreciate the honesty. Like I said in my post, I'm just going by the advisement of my Pre-med advisor.
9 times out of 10 pre med advisors don't know what they're talking about. If I'd listened to mine, I wouldn't be starting medical school in 5 months

So take what they say with a large grain of salt.

You should definitely take biochem before the MCAT... coming from someone who took the MCAT without biochem

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you should take the MCAT no matter what. ...For some reason, the VCOM's are much more fixated on an applicant's GPA than MCAT scores. Last I heard, a 499/500 MCAT average can be found on all of their campuses. But as AnatomyGrey has stated... A lot of med school success is contingent upon you which includes MCAT, COMLEX and USMLE performance. Those scores alone will heavily determine the school you get into and your ultimate direction in medicine. So you need to prepare well before you take them. (Cramming over a few weekends doesn't work.)

Last edited:
Ive seen good reviews of the UNE bio chem. Either way good luck man! But ultimately if you end up waiting an extra year, in the grand scheme of things it won't be that big of a deal.

Want to re-quote this as a plug to UNE's online biochem course. I didn't personally take it, but I know a lot of people from my undergrad and med school who did. All of them had positive things to say about it, and the people from my med class that took it seemed to do well with biochem here. I've also heard it's one of the few online courses that med schools don't look down on, as it's generally accepted as a good class/resource.

They also had a ~88% first time pass rate for COMLEX, which is awful. There's a connection.
ACOM's was 88% too

Agree, I think a first time pass rate above 95% is ideal, but I wouldn't apply to a school that was regularly below 90%. There's always going to be a few individuals (even at elite programs) who just aren't quite up to snuff or just have a bad test day. Having 10% or more fail says the problem isn't just a few individuals, it's a problem with either the overall quality of students at the school or more likely that the curriculum isn't good enough.

When I applied, I tried to only shoot for schools that had above a 90% pass rate for boards and a 95% match rate. Imo anything lower for more than 1 class (maybe that class just sucked, it happens) implies that something about that school is inadequate and that attending that school will hurt your overall career choices.

You should definitely take biochem before the MCAT... coming from someone who took the MCAT without biochem

My advisor is speaking with the Professor over the Science department. She is trying to get me into Biochem in a "mini-mester." Hopefully this goes well.

9 times out of 10 pre med advisors don't know what they're talking about. If I'd listened to mine, I wouldn't be starting medical school in 5 months

So take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Haha thank you. It looks like I'll be taking my time now.

Want to re-quote this as a plug to UNE's online biochem course. I didn't personally take it, but I know a lot of people from my undergrad and med school who did. All of them had positive things to say about it, and the people from my med class that took it seemed to do well with biochem here. I've also heard it's one of the few online courses that med schools don't look down on, as it's generally accepted as a good class/resource.

Agree, I think a first time pass rate above 95% is ideal, but I wouldn't apply to a school that was regularly below 90%. There's always going to be a few individuals (even at elite programs) who just aren't quite up to snuff or just have a bad test day. Having 10% or more fail says the problem isn't just a few individuals, it's a problem with either the overall quality of students at the school or more likely that the curriculum isn't good enough.

When I applied, I tried to only shoot for schools that had above a 90% pass rate for boards and a 95% match rate. Imo anything lower for more than 1 class (maybe that class just sucked, it happens) implies that something about that school is inadequate and that attending that school will hurt your overall career choices.

If I'm not mistaken, I read something about the first one-two years at VCOM was a little hectic. They were adjusting to the new school, etc... But if I cannot take Biochem at my University, I'm going to use UNE.

How did you do? I am in a similar sitch, where I am studying for it without Biochem. However I've taken all the biology/chem classes needed

If I'm not mistaken, I read something about the first one-two years at VCOM was a little hectic. They were adjusting to the new school, etc... But if I cannot take Biochem at my University, I'm going to use UNE.

Doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't completely discredit a school for having poor results in the first year or two. However, that is the risk of attending a new school. Residencies won't care about the school being new and won't give you the benefit of the doubt if you do poorly. They'll see someone who isn't as prepared or good as other applicants and take someone else. Not saying the school won't get better, just trying to point out that you've got to do what's in your best interest as a student and an applicant.

How did you do? I am in a similar sitch, where I am studying for it without Biochem. However I've taken all the biology/chem classes needed

Couldn't break a 505 even though I only had one grade below A from all pre-reqs i did in postbacc. Definitely one of the hardest things ive ever done educationally. I feel sad for people thinking they're going to bank on a super high mcat when they cant break 3.0 and get in. The test is a lot harder than you might expect.

Couldn't break a 505 even though I only had one grade below A from all pre-reqs i did in postbacc. Definitely one of the hardest things ive ever done educationally. I feel sad for people thinking they're going to bank on a super high mcat when they cant break 3.0 and get in. The test is a lot harder than you might expect.

Wow... That is insane. My Pre-med advisor teaches Biochem. So I assume that is why she is nudging me to take it. I guess the topic is "easier" for her. Oh! My apologies @Goro for my snappy post (didn't have my morning coffee). Hopefully Biochem won't be as bad as I'm thinking :lol:

Also, can someone suggest something to do during a gap year? The reason I am tied/interested in Auburn is the fact that my wife is a vet student there. I am limited to the places I can go. Unless I want to drive an 1 1/2 to UAB :barf:I was SUPER involved in Undergrad and have lots of EC's. I'm just worried they will ask "What have you done for the past ____ years." This is another reason I'm trying to do the hurry up method.

Due to financial issues, I don't have the opportunity to take Biochem this semester. So I will be taking Biochem during the Summer semester (hopefully). If I take my MCAT on July 21st, will I have a shot at any program? I believe the release date for test scores will be August 22. Should I just hang it up and wait until next year? I realized how unprepared I am for the MCAT and I don't have any intentions on retaking this beast. I've read a few threads and I know it is considered late for MD apps, but is the DO process more lenient? This all goes back to my Pre-med advisor telling me that I NEEDED to take the MCAT by May. Not gonna lie guys... The Physical Therapy application used to stress me out, but it seems like child's play compared to Med school.

While it would likely help, you don't need pre-reqs to succeed on the MCAT. I had the worst biochem professor and learned NOTHING in that class. I also remembered next to nothing from my other pre-reqs, as I took most of them during my first two years of undergrad, during which I was a serial crammer.

When it came to MCAT studying I used EK for content review and did lots of practice passages. Took the test when I was ready, after about 2.5 months of 3-5 hour per day studying. Scored a balanced 512 (think I could've scored higher, got my worst VR ever on the real test). Would I have done better if I actually remembered anything from pre-reqs? Probably, as I would've had more time for straight passage practice. Would it have been worth it to spend thousands of dollars to take pre-reqs again (or in your case, ensure you get your pre-reqs in before your test) and push my test back further? No.

While it would likely help, you don't need pre-reqs to succeed on the MCAT. I had the worst biochem professor and learned NOTHING in that class. I also remembered next to nothing from my other pre-reqs, as I took most of them during my first two years of undergrad, during which I was a serial crammer.

When it came to MCAT studying I used EK for content review and did lots of practice passages. Took the test when I was ready, after about 2.5 months of 3-5 hour per day studying. Scored a balanced 512 (think I could've scored higher, got my worst VR ever on the real test). Would I have done better if I actually remembered anything from pre-reqs? Probably, as I would've had more time for straight passage practice. Would it have been worth it to spend thousands of dollars to take pre-reqs again (or in your case, ensure you get your pre-reqs in before your test) and push my test back further? No.
If you don't mind me asking, did the review books cover everything you needed? I'm currently using the new BR books for studying and they are pretty in depth, but I don't want any surprises on test day. I was debating on using Khan Academy for structure on information I don't quite understand (Which is a lot as of right now). I'm mortified to say this, but the stoichiometry section tore me limb from limb yesterday. The example questions seemed simple, but the passage "practice" questions destroyed me.

If you don't mind me asking, did the review books cover everything you needed? I'm currently using the new BR books for studying and they are pretty in depth, but I don't want any surprises on test day. I was debating on using Khan Academy for structure on information I don't quite understand (Which is a lot as of right now). I'm mortified to say this, but the stoichiometry section tore me limb from limb yesterday. The example questions seemed simple, but the passage "practice" questions destroyed me.

Yeah, I felt EK covered everything I needed. It definitely does a good job with high yield stuff. BR has the reputation of being very in depth for sure (perhaps overkill at times I've heard), but I can't comment on it since I never used it. I really liked KA as a supplement for stuff I didn't understand at first.

Even if you feel like passages are killing you right now, it's still good practice.

Due to financial issues, I don't have the opportunity to take Biochem this semester. So I will be taking Biochem during the Summer semester (hopefully). If I take my MCAT on July 21st, will I have a shot at any program? I believe the release date for test scores will be August 22. Should I just hang it up and wait until next year? I realized how unprepared I am for the MCAT and I don't have any intentions on retaking this beast. I've read a few threads and I know it is considered late for MD apps, but is the DO process more lenient? This all goes back to my Pre-med advisor telling me that I NEEDED to take the MCAT by May. Not gonna lie guys... The Physical Therapy application used to stress me out, but it seems like child's play compared to Med school.

Depends on your GPA and ECs! If those are decent and you have the rest of your app ready when your scores come back you'll be fine.

Yeah, I felt EK covered everything I needed. It definitely does a good job with high yield stuff. BR has the reputation of being very in depth for sure (perhaps overkill at times I've heard), but I can't comment on it since I never used it. I really liked KA as a supplement for stuff I didn't understand at first.

Even if you feel like passages are killing you right now, it's still good practice.
Awesome. Thank you. This gives me hope lol.
Depends on your GPA and ECs! If those are decent and you have the rest of your app ready when your scores come back you'll be fine.
I have around a 3.5 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA... I still have Orgo's left to take. So it may rise by a little.

Awesome. Thank you. This gives me hope lol.

I have around a 3.5 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA... I still have Orgo's left to take. So it may rise by a little.
I'd 100% apply next cycle in late August with those stats! I got a 502 on my MCAT with high 3.5 GPAs and got in 4 places with 13 II not to mention I didn't submit until mid September. I'd say anything north of 499 and you're in very good shape

I'd 100% apply next cycle in late August with those stats! I got a 502 on my MCAT with high 3.5 GPAs and got in 4 places with 13 II not to mention I didn't submit until mid September. I'd say anything north of 499 and you're in very good shape
Phew!!! Thank you for the positivity. :clap: I can't tell you how worried I have been. My Professor told me I can get some research experience in some of the labs. So idk if that will hold any weight to admission faculty.

Phew!!! Thank you for the positivity. :clap: I can't tell you how worried I have been. My Professor told me I can get some research experience in some of the labs. So idk if that will hold any weight to admission faculty.
Sure will! I think I got asked about mine at all of my interviews haha.