Should Marijuana be legalized in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Should Marijuana be Legalized in the US?

  • No way!

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Yes, but for medical purpose only

    Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Yes, but tax the heck out of it and issue permit to grow

    Votes: 47 61.8%
  • Yes, let everyone grow it and smoke it

    Votes: 16 21.1%

  • Total voters
    76
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize people abuse phenergan with codeine but he didn't say that.

But he did say he was treated like a junkie when asked for Phenergan. You can't deny there is a social stigma attached "junkie" with frequent use of Phenergan with or without codeine. It doesn't mean he is a junkie. It's just a perception of others. Stop being so myopic.
 
That's not what myopia means, not sure why you're so defensive. As someone who worked in pharmacies for quite some time I had just never heard of someone getting the junkie label for phenergan use. Pretty sad.
 
Sorry your grandmother had to go through that experience, it is a shame what we do to cancer patients and drug addicts in this country (I am 100% serious).

What is the problem with phenergan though? Never heard anyone getting crap for that before.

yeah, you couldnt get ondansetron?
 
That's not what myopia means, not sure why you're so defensive. As someone who worked in pharmacies for quite some time I had just never heard of someone getting the junkie label for phenergan use. Pretty sad.

:meanie: I'm not being defensive... I'm being offensively trollistic!
 
On topic, they are thinking about possibly legalizing medical marijuana in Illinois. However, one provision they are thinking about adding to the potential law is that it would have to be sold directly through a pharmacy with a pharmacist present. I can't imagine that many pharmacies would want to do this. First, I think most pharmacies like keeping their DEA license in good standing, and secondly, it might bring a bad element to the stores. Most pharmacies in Illinois do not sell elgible C-Vs OTC because they do not want to deal with the paper work and they are worried it will bring in a bad element into the pharmacy.
 
Sorry your grandmother had to go through that experience, it is a shame what we do to cancer patients and drug addicts in this country (I am 100% serious).

What is the problem with phenergan though? Never heard anyone getting crap for that before.

I actually didn't know they made phenergan with codeine. I really could have used that, LOL! 😀

My grandma died back in 1989, and got breast cancer back in 1971 (at 26). It happens, but I am heartened that there is more info out there for women and that a woman isn't just stuck with one provider (usually). She was a very nice woman. 🙂

But he did say he was treated like a junkie when asked for Phenergan. You can't deny there is a social stigma attached "junkie" with frequent use of Phenergan with or without codeine. It doesn't mean he is a junkie. It's just a perception of others.
There is a social stigma attached to pretty much anything these days. It's also easy to think a young person that you don't know is a junkie. It happens all the time.

I think some doctors are gun-shy and I suspect that one doctor was irked that I came to the ER. The pain and nausea was just that bad, I was barely eating or drinking and I was pretty sure that I was looking at my impending death. He sent me off with 10 Reglan, which do nothing for me (he acted like I was lucky to get that too). "Now, just take ONE of these a day, OKAY?" (as if I were five or something)

I went home and took a vicodin, an advil and a Phenergan. And that baaaarely took the edge off, but it did make me sleep. I lost over ten pounds in two weeks.

I finally got in to see a doc in Nov, who wanted to do a laparoscopy ASAP to confirm dx, but my Ins. wouldn't pay for it. If the ER doc had ordered it, they may have paid, but the guy thought I was full of whatzit so of course he's not going to order $17'000+ of surgery and dx.

And I'm not a "frequent" user of phenergan (just for the record). I don't even take tylenol very often. As I said, I mostly got it from friends who were seriously concerned about my well-being, so they didn't have a whole lot. I think around 20(?) between May 08 and December 08. I mostly did deep breathing and natural (non-supplement) things like ginger thins and teas.

After a while, I was able to find resources for diet mods, environment mods that helped slowly over months. By the time I got an opinion other than "Surgery ASAP" I was ~85% better and I'm not convinced that she (NP) believes me about the worst times. Most of my friends (who live 3000 miles away) have just recently started to realize just how sick I really was. My NP's pretty good though and actually listens to my concerns. 👍 She hasn't given me a "just in case" script for phenergan yet, but I'm asking my next appt.

Needless to say, this completely ruined two semesters of school. Disability Support Services at the school was my rock, but they can't do everything of course.

:hijacked:PS, sorry for hijacking this thread.
 
Last edited:
In Canada, we have partial legalization; people are able to get cards authorizing them to use mj for medical reasons, but they have no legal source. It's a stupid situation. There's been several medical mj users in the jail in the past year, completely harmless guys who managed to pi$$ off the police somehow. Probably, they could be helped by conventional medicine, but they prefer to smoke pot for their problems (chronic pain, mostly). Seems silly they could easily get opioids legally, when the mj is far less addictive.