Should one call prelim program after getting advanced interview from institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have got neurology advanced program interview from one institution but not from their prelim IM.

So should one call the program coordinator to ask about the possibility regarding the prelim IN interview from their instituion ?

If yes, whom should I call first - advanced program coordinator (neurology in my case) or prelim IM program coordinator ?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So I have got neurology advanced program interview from one institution but not from their prelim IM.

So should one call the program coordinator to ask about the possibility regarding the prelim IN interview from their instituion ?

If yes, whom should I call first - advanced program coordinator (neurology in my case) or prelim IM program coordinator ?

Thanks in advance.

Tell the advanced PC that you'd like to interview on the same day as the Neuro interview (or previous/next day) for the prelim program there. It should be a formality most places. Some places don't even have you interview for the prelim...if you match advanced, you get a prelim spot.

Tell the advanced PC that you'd like to interview on the same day as the Neuro interview (or previous/next day) for the prelim program there. It should be a formality most places. Some places don't even have you interview for the prelim...if you match advanced, you get a prelim spot.

Thanks for replying.

But I was talking about Neurology advanced programs which state on their website that "You need to apply separately to our Internal Medicine Program" and don't give any further information.

So should I call up the Neurology PC and ask her that what should I expect/do about the IM prelim interview from your institution ?

(I don't want to give her an impression that I am trying to seek her help in getting an IM prelim interview. I just want to know how things work in their program regarding coordination with IM prelim. Like you said, it is a formality in most places)

Call and ask. I would ask the neuro program for their advice first, but I think it's completely reasonable to contact the prelim program also to see what's up with your application, and mention that you'll be coming for a neuro interview.

Thanks for replying.

But I was talking about Neurology advanced programs which state on their website that "You need to apply separately to our Internal Medicine Program" and don't give any further information.

So should I call up the Neurology PC and ask her that what should I expect/do about the IM prelim interview from your institution ?

(I don't want to give her an impression that I am trying to seek her help in getting an IM prelim interview. I just want to know how things work in their program regarding coordination with IM prelim. Like you said, it is a formality in most places)

Then you should have been more clear in your initial post. My advice still stands though.

IMHO, this whole Prelim/Advanced business is kind of ridiculous and needs to be replaced with linked "general" intern years if that's a concern.

Thanks aPD and gutonc for your helpful replies.

Thanks aPD and gutonc for your helpful replies.

While I agree with the advice above, staying put in one place for the duration of prelim plus categorical can have it's negatives. There are often "easier" prelims than the ones associated with certain categorical programs, some pay more, plus you will widen your group of friends, have the opportunity to live somewhere else, and it will be less boring to not live in the same hospital for so many years. You also probably get more respect from the attendings and senior residents who consult you if the don't think of you as that lowly intern they rounded with a short year ago.