Should people with Low Stats Become Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like this post just because it gives me my first real insight into what Caribbean schools are all about. I had no idea before!
I know that there are people who go to the Caribbean and match straight out. I know plenty of them, but I also know plenty of people who passed their classes, paid a cr@pload of money, and then could not pass the STEP exams (not once, but I believe a total of 3 times for one of my friends), also I know plenty that did pass the STEPs and didn't match anywhere (mutiple times). It is such a huge gamble, it obviously depends on the individual. You can get to where you want coming from the Caribbean, but it's gonna take a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get you there and even then hardwork may not be enough :( ... imagine going through all that then having a quarter of a million dollars of debt. What job can you get to pay that off? I know some go into clinical research, etc., but they're making between $40,000 - $60,000. You can't even pay off your loans (avg loan is about $3,000/month). I would do the Caribbean as a last last last resort, if you don't get into a US MD/DO school more than once.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that there are people who go to the Caribbean and match straight out. I know plenty of them, but I also know plenty of people who passed their classes, paid a cr@pload of money, and then could not pass the STEP exams (not once, but I believe a total of 3 times for one of my friends), also I know plenty that did pass the STEPs and didn't match anywhere (mutiple times). It is such a huge gamble, it obviously depends on the individual. You can get to where you want coming from the Caribbean, but it's gonna take a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get you there and even then hardwork may not be enough :( ... imagine going through all that then having a quarter of a million dollars of debt. What job can you get to pay that off? I know some go into clinical research, etc., but they're making between $40,000 - $60,000. You can't even pay off your loans (avg loan is about $3,000/month). I would do the Caribbean as a last last last resort, if you don't get into a US MD/DO school more than once.

Getting in is not difficult all they promise is a chance to prove yourself, but Carib students are going to have to study like they've never studied before and if deep to prove they belong. But the prospect of landing in debt and not matching are very real. The OP infuriated me though, the MCAT is the first of many many tests

The Carib is a huge, unwise gamble in my opinion. Most Caribs I've known came from wealthy families who paid their tuitions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure that a Carrib grad could match SOMEWHERE in a family med program in rural Wyoming or something like that. I think people overreact about the Carib here

Im sure that a Carrib grad could match SOMEWHERE in a family med program in rural Wyoming or something like that. I think people overreact about the Carib here

Could with a 30-50% odds that is exponentially decreasing every year is not something to gamble with.

I think the more important question should be whether or not people with low Board scores should be doctors. Once you're in medical school nobody gives a flying **** about what your undergrad GPA is or what your MCAT was, its utterly irrelevant since neither assesses whether or not you have the skills necessary to be a good doctor.

I think the more important question should be whether or not people with low Board scores should be doctors. Once you're in medical school nobody gives a flying **** about what your undergrad GPA is or what your MCAT was, its utterly irrelevant since neither assesses whether or not you have the skills necessary to be a good doctor.

Are board scores relevant to being a good doctor? I'm not talking from a humanistic/bedside manner standpoint, either.

Are board scores relevant to being a good doctor? I'm not talking from a humanistic/bedside manner standpoint, either.

Yes: good board scores indicate good mastery of medical knowledge. How this should factor into being a good physician should be clear.

No: plenty of people simply don't test well. Their mastery of medical relevant medical knowledge may be excellent, but some people just crash and burn when it comes to multiple choice or exams.

Meh (elaborating on 'No'): people who have great medical knowledge but can't perform under pressure (i.e. practically the most important exam of their life up until that point) may not be the best physicians, because some specialties are just stressful. But then are plenty of low-stress specialties like radiology, pathology, etc.

In short, I'm gonna get a soda and finish my thesis instead of burning time on SDN.

eh, that's why there is a minimum passing score for the boards.........

Awesome, good thing this thread got bumped...

:(

Carib is also a toss up in terms of education quality... St. George's and Ross, sure they are okay, perhaps AUC and SABA too, but the rest are pure trash.

If I was asked this question as a pre-med or an M1-M2, I would have absolutely said that they should not be. I was more closed-minded, confident, and arrogant back then. I know it's anecdotal, but seeing students that I know were waitlisted for poor numbers eventually land very competitive residencies (Urology at a top 5 program, derm, etc.) has changed my mind. I think the boards are the ultimate measure, and I think med schools do a good job of putting out (mostly) capable physicians.

Some people have low #s for various reasons. If they get their act together and put forth the necessary work during med school or at a DO or Caribbean school, I think they should have the opportunity to become doctors.