Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering there are 2.3 million inmates in USA currently, what are your views on this?

20 states currently do not allow persons convicted of a felony to vote while serving a sentence.

My personal view: yes! If are a citizen, you should be able to vote. It’s a basic human right IMO. People do make bad life-choices sometimes. But these people have family too. How does it make sense to take away their right to be able to do something that might benefit their loved ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Convicted felons - no.... You give up your rights as an American citizen when you do something like murder or rape someone.

Your opinion on public policy no longer matters to me when you demonstrate that you have no value or respect for human life. I think the better question would be - “Why would a rapists opinion, who will spend the rest of their life in prison, matter in terms of public policy?” Why would their opinion about how much I am taxed, the type of health care policy, or the type of public transportation I have access to matter? The only interest that they have in voting is to vote for who is easiest of prison sentences.

Last edited:
I think the better question would be - “Why would a rapists opinion, who will spend the rest of their life in prison, matter in terms of public policy?” Why would their opinion about how much I am taxed, the type of health care policy, or the type of public transportation I have access to matter? The only interest that they have in voting is to vote for who is easiest of prison sentences.

So, if someone makes poor life-decisions, does that mean they should have no right to education and healthcare for their family?

And don’t we all vote for the candidates who we think would benefit us the most? How does it only apply to inmates?

Members don't see this ad :)
And don’t we all vote for the candidates who we think would benefit us the most? How does it only apply to inmates?
Not really, a lot of high income people don't care if they pay more tax (28% corp tax + 2% more taxes >400k income (Trump vs. Biden tax proposal)). If they can get rid of Trump, they will vote Biden. Character matters.

Considering there are 2.3 million inmates in USA currently, what are your views on this?

20 states currently do not allow persons convicted of a felony to vote while serving a sentence.

My personal view: yes! If are a citizen, you should be able to vote. It’s a basic human right IMO. People do make bad life-choices sometimes. But these people have family too. How does it make sense to take away their right to be able to do something that might benefit their loved ones?

Absolutely no voting while serving a sentence.

If they were thinking about their loved ones maybe they wouldn't have done the FELONY. Especially so if it is a crime against another person.

Our justice system is too lax as it is!

Reactions: 1 user
So, if someone makes poor life-decisions, does that mean they should have no right to education and healthcare for their family?

To me - rationalization does not overshadow common sense. No need to get all complex about it - life to me is not a debate club. Maybe you should spend 6 months in a maximum security prison for murderers and rapists and see how much their opinion matters to public policy.

Calling it, “poor life decisions” applies an inappropriate context to the reality of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.