Should schema therapy be practiced without formal training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychstudent90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently practicing as a registered provisional psychologist. I have recently been allocated five new handover clients, who have seen other interns at the Clinic. Two of the clients have each completed the Young Schema Questionnaire, begun schema therapy, and are keen to continue schema therapy.

I am currently seeing three clients, and using cognitive processing therapy, compassion-focused therapy and dialectical behaviour therapy in my work with them. I am undertaking a postgraduate psychology course, and we have not been provided with any training in schema therapy beyond a couple of slides on a PowerPoint.

I am developing an interest in complex trauma, but I have not previously had an interest, so I have not sought out training. My understanding is that schema therapy is quite complex, integrative and has a formalised training program. I will be seeing my new clients either later this week or next week, and I do not feel I can get my head around such a complex modality in this time. The previous interns have assured me that I can learn schema therapy, and that it's not particularly complex, but I am concerned.

What are your thoughts? How much training is required to practice schema therapy?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are providing those therapies to one person, you are not using the evidence base.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would want to have enough training and supervision in whatever I was doing that I could explain to a psychology board or court that I was adequately trained to provide that clinical service.

Reactions: 7 users
This isn't an answer to your question, but just FYI: complex trauma can be treated just as effectively with CBT-based approaches like PE and CPT.

Reactions: 6 users
The newest edition of the CPT manual even includes a 24 session version for treating childhood sexual abuse (I've never used it, personally, but you could!)

Reactions: 1 user