Should the pharmacy forums have moderators?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should the pharmacy forum have moderators?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are forums on SDN without moderators. Let's vote to see if this one should have one.

Members don't see this ad.

Then a thread devolves into racism, chaos, threats, and more racism then the ADMINS get involved and we’re all fcked.

Keep the mods, I just don’t think we should be banning people…just delete their stuff at random, lol. Nothing worse than writing a thesis and posting, and have it deleted next day.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every forum needs moderators, if only to just keep the scammers out. The forums without moderators, rely on self-moderating, that the users will report to the admins (ie moderators) problem posts. Could our pharmacy forums here run with that set-up? Probably. But the moderating here is pretty light-handed already, so why fix what isn't broken?

Reactions: 1 user
Sine cura is now gone?

Reactions: 1 users
Sine cura is now gone?
I believe so..banned/revoked. Something along the lines of racism in another thread (didn't witness posts). I trust the decision was warranted. We all make bad decisions from time to time; it just seems to sting more when it's a familiar poster/regular here...recent example being @Sparda29

Every forum needs moderators, if only to just keep the scammers out. The forums without moderators, rely on self-moderating, that the users will report to the admins (ie moderators) problem posts. Could our pharmacy forums here run with that set-up? Probably. But the moderating here is pretty light-handed already, so why fix what isn't broken?

It's not light handed. They ban long time posters on a regular basis.

The mods here are too heavy handed and that has a lot to do with why the forum is practically dead.

The mods here are too heavy handed and that has a lot to do with why the forum is practically dead.
This forum is nearly dead because it is so negative about the profession, so that is all it attracts. Those that are happy in their jobs and positive about the future of the profession are much less likely to post here. Several pharmacy related sections of Reddit are more consistently active than here and Reddit mods are definitely not lighter than SDN ones.
I will comment that mod action is much more direct than in the past. However, owle tends to be light touch, it's usually one of the admins that banhammers in this forum usually.

It would be really interesting to see what the numbers of Admin vs Mod action were. Changing or getting rid of Mods won't change what the Admin's do (except to maybe make them pay more direct attention.

simple moderation OK when a thread devolves, but only minimal - let people self police within reason - I hate bans unless repeated craziness

simple moderation OK when a thread devolves, but only minimal - let people self police within reason - I hate bans unless repeated craziness
I think the internet in general has proven that people can't self police. In fact, SDN doesn't really have a mechanism for it, especially since some enjoy provoking the troublemakers. Like many forums, Admins and Mods aren't open about the things that lead up to a ban. So we might never see what caused the ban (it's probably been deleted), which makes it impossible to review the situation.

So far the only two examples of bannable offenses in this thread are racism and violent speech. That doesn't really seem heavy-handed to me.

The other side of this, of course, it that SDN Admin's get to enforce the rules however the site owners see fit. There are plenty of places on the internet with fewer rules if that is what you desire.

I think the internet in general has proven that people can't self police. In fact, SDN doesn't really have a mechanism for it, especially since some enjoy provoking the troublemakers. Like many forums, Admins and Mods aren't open about the things that lead up to a ban. So we might never see what caused the ban (it's probably been deleted), which makes it impossible to review the situation.

So far the only two examples of bannable offenses in this thread are racism and violent speech. That doesn't really seem heavy-handed to me.

The other side of this, of course, it that SDN Admin's get to enforce the rules however the site owners see fit. There are plenty of places on the internet with fewer rules if that is what you desire.
I think we probably agree more than we don't - It does need to be an "all or none" thou - on one of the other boards the mods will go in and change the wording of a post if the don't like a word or two - that is dishonest - either delete the post or let it go.

But ya - I think we have proven as a society we can't self police thou - just check any facebook post

LueLinks and 4chan/8chan are pretty much one of the few no rules havens.

I think we probably agree more than we don't - It does need to be an "all or none" thou - on one of the other boards the mods will go in and change the wording of a post if the don't like a word or two - that is dishonest - either delete the post or let it go.

But ya - I think we have proven as a society we can't self police thou - just check any facebook post

There was one time, I said "thanks Obama" at the end of the post (sarcastically/meme), and some butthurt mod deleted that part, saying I was derailing the thread.
I'm not sure how it would've affected the discussion at all.