Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I am discovering, the process of getting pathology fellowships does not have any kind of match, it's more like a job search. You apply to individual places and they decide on their own timeline when they will interview you (if they do), and then after that they decide on their own timeline if they will offer you a position, and then it is their timeline as to how long you have to accept it or lose it. And these timelines vary incredibly, from those who fill fellowships over two years in advance to those who want to fill them about a year or so ahead of time (if not less).
Personally, I find this system to be an abomination. Obviously it works well for some people, but in my view it certainly doesn't optimize things for better candidates. Some programs favor internal candidates to the exclusion of others. Other programs ignore internal candidates or marginalize them. The good candidate is often faced with the proposition of having to decide on a fellowship before they even interview at programs they might be interested in, or risk losing out totally. And since the system is generally frontloaded, you have to apply or start applying 2 years in advance, which is also too much. An AP only candidate will only have had one year of training before they have to apply. Terrible.
Other fields (like IM) have a match-like system. I much prefer this.
I know there are some who will defend the current system, and they will argue that it favors stronger candidates, it's much easier to navigate, etc. Bull****. If they truly were rolling admissions I would somewhat understand. But they are not. If they were all on similar timelines, I would somewhat understand. But they are not. And the programs often publish application timelines on their websites which are not accurate. Generally, people who defend the current system are those who lucked out.
Anyone want to defend the current system? It may work out in my favor (probably will, actually), so that isn't the point.
Personally, I find this system to be an abomination. Obviously it works well for some people, but in my view it certainly doesn't optimize things for better candidates. Some programs favor internal candidates to the exclusion of others. Other programs ignore internal candidates or marginalize them. The good candidate is often faced with the proposition of having to decide on a fellowship before they even interview at programs they might be interested in, or risk losing out totally. And since the system is generally frontloaded, you have to apply or start applying 2 years in advance, which is also too much. An AP only candidate will only have had one year of training before they have to apply. Terrible.
Other fields (like IM) have a match-like system. I much prefer this.
I know there are some who will defend the current system, and they will argue that it favors stronger candidates, it's much easier to navigate, etc. Bull****. If they truly were rolling admissions I would somewhat understand. But they are not. If they were all on similar timelines, I would somewhat understand. But they are not. And the programs often publish application timelines on their websites which are not accurate. Generally, people who defend the current system are those who lucked out.
Anyone want to defend the current system? It may work out in my favor (probably will, actually), so that isn't the point.
) Let's consider a slightly different scenario...