SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Should there be more Pod schools?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by DexterMorganSK, Jan 11, 2018.

1. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Jul 16, 2016
    While I think it is essential for Podiatry to advertise more at the undergrad level, I know opening anymore school will create problems with the match.

So, I do not think there should be any more additional Pod schools...at least not until the standards for admissions requirement changes for all nine schools and there are more applicants than the number of seats available.

What do you guys think? How about closing a school down?

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/are-there-too-many-podiatry-colleges

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Asksport

Asksport 2+ Year Member

May 27, 2014
    This would be counter-productive, in my opinion.
    A simpler solution would be to reduce the number of matriculants at each of the nine schools.

4. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    There are too many students as is for the match. Pods are barley at a 1:1 ratio, and the echoes of 2012-2013 match disaster are still felt today.

I know someone from the graduating class of 2012 who finally got a residency in 2016. This is ludacrous. If anything they need to get rid of a school.

ciderbun96 likes this.
  5. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    As far as attracting new talent, most people don’t know what a podiatrist is, the responsibilities one has, or that they can do Surgery.

I think the best way to go about recruiting it is to produce excellent pods, and have students that are proud of their school and will recruit for those school. Word of mouth is the best advistisment. Currently, the recruitment policy for DPM schools like New York and Kent are to spam email lists of people who scored low on the mcat. How about going to Health fairs at the undergrad campus? I never see pod schools at these things, but DO schools are all over them.

6. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    Major reason I am where I am.

Attended a health fair during graduate degree. Saw them and started talking.

silverturtle, GypsyHummus and med2345 like this.
  7. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    I mean, all they need are attractive people at those booths to get students interested.

To maximize the effect, I volunteer @smurfeyD and @Weirdy

8. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. Lord_stark

Lord_stark

Jun 6, 2017
    I think we need to a better advertisement and advocacy about podiatric medicine to the pre-med students to increase applicant pool. Using the proper term would be one example, such as Podiatric medical school instead of pod school. Its fine for us, but it often gives false perspective to those pre-med students.
    One funny line reminds me of using proper word. " You shouldn't call your fraternity a frat like you wouldn't call your country a xxxx."

Podiatric medicine and surgery is a specialty in medicine. Podiatirc medical students are trained to become physician and surgeon who specialize in lower extremity.

DPM/DO/MD: 4 years of medical school, minimum 3 years of residency, full Rx licence, independent Dx & Rx in office and hospital, and hospital privilege..etc
    - DPM and surgical DO/MD have surgery privilege in hospital.

10. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Jul 16, 2016
    In the article above, some suggested that opening more schools in turn will increase the DPM awareness to the general public and the premeds, as more people apply and graduate as DPMs, there will be more opportunities for Pods and so on. It is quite possible that might happen because we have (are seeing) this with the DO schools, currently. Back when I started undergrad, in 2004, DO schools were emerging very slowly...and today..almost a couple of new schools are opening per year (as a new school or a sister-branch to an already established school).

It may or may not cause an issue for the DO students with their match due to the increase in overall grads per year. But, I think unless the total of the number of residency positions increase for Pods, any increase in grads here will cause a residency shortage for us, guaranteed.

11. AslanMacit

AslanMacit 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Should or shouldn't it's probably gonna head that way.

12. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Worked for DO schools.

Trouble is, Pods only have one match and it’s barley at 1:1.

AslanMacit likes this.
  13. bobtheweazel

bobtheweazel 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Earth
    I don't know why you keep saying this. It's simply misleading to prepods. Our match rate is essentially the same as the MDs/DOs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

silverturtle and dr.phoot like this.
  14. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    The amount of pods graduating vs the amount of residency spots available [+] the amount of pods that didn't match trying to match this year is not as good as MD/DO.

15. bobtheweazel

Jun 24, 2015
    Earth
    But did you just make that up or do you have numbers to back up your claim?

First of all I would remind people that any prepod or current pod student will not be graduating as somebody who previously didn't match, so every new pod grad will have a shot with 95+% chance to match (this year's match was 95% for new grads, last years was about 98%, it varies quite a bit since our pool of grads is so small).

Second of all if you look at the 2017 residency data for MDs and for DPMs, MDs had a 97.5% placement rate for new US grads (after SOAP) and DPMs had a 95% placement rate for new grads (after MPII). If you look at previously unmatched US (not IMG) MD graduates, of which there are well over a thousand, they had a 2017 placement rate of 49.7% overall. If you look at previously unmatched DPM graduates, they had a 2017 placement rate of 47.1% overall. All things considered, this is in the same ballpark—which is impressive considering that we're on the other side of a residency crisis here. And since our placement rate for new grads was higher than the MD placement rate for new US grads last year, I'll again say that we're essentially in the same place.

16. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    What is placement vs match?

17. bobtheweazel

Jun 24, 2015
    Earth
    A lot of match numbers that you look at might be only for the main match. So by overall residency placement I'm also considering those placed in the scramble (SOAP for MDs, MPII for DPMs).

For instance if you just go Google MD residency statistics they'll give you a "match rate" but that usually doesn't include placement via their scramble process.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

med2345 likes this.
  18. dr.phoot

dr.phoot

Mar 5, 2016
    I just wanna make some money :D

DexterMorganSK likes this.
  19. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011

OMG shouldn’t go into medicine for money RREEEEEEE

dr.phoot likes this.
  20. dr.phoot

dr.phoot

Mar 5, 2016
    why do you think the word medicine starts with an "m"? :D;)