should you file FAFSA for the schools that you get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about filing now for NYCOM. I haven't receive any letter concerning with financial aid yet. Does anyone know if I should go ahead and file FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about filing now for NYCOM. I haven't receive any letter concerning with financial aid yet. Does anyone know if I should go ahead and file FAFSA?

definitely get the ball rolling with financial aid.. you can list i think 4-5 schools when u fill out the fafsa and have the option of adding schools later. there's no harm in filing now, it will only be to your advantage later :) dont worry, deadlines are not until the summer, but schools usually have priority deadlines earlier like in march just to get the ball rolling and to make sure you get your award packages in a timely manner. i'm actually filling out my fafsa right now :p

Are you guys filling out the fafsa yourselves or are you having h&r block or an accountant fill it out?? the reason i ask is because i need to fill it out also, and have never done it before. So i was wondering how difficult it was to fill it out, and what wa the easiest way to get it done?!?! i have my pin so i can do it online.

Also, do i need to enter my parents financial info on their, even though i'm 27 years old, or do i apply independently? cool thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys filling out the fafsa yourselves or are you having h&r block or an accountant fill it out?? the reason i ask is because i need to fill it out also, and have never done it before. So i was wondering how difficult it was to fill it out, and what wa the easiest way to get it done?!?! i have my pin so i can do it online.

Also, do i need to enter my parents financial info on their, even though i'm 27 years old, or do i apply independently? cool thanks alot.

I filled out FAFSA myself. It is very easy. Besides, they have the "Live Help" feature which allows you to chat with their employees if you have any questions.

You do not need to enter your parents info. However, most schools recommend that you do in order to determine eligibility of loans/scholarship, etc. However, you will be considered as independent no matter what because you are pursuing graduate/professional degree.

i just filled it out myself and submitted it about an hour ago! i did have my parents help with some of the stuff..all you need really is your W-2 form if u haven't filed your taxes yet..they just ask for your gross income, what you paid in income tax, exemptions..etc. nothing to bad. i entered my parents info just cuz they recommended it..but it is optional so i wouldn't worry about it. good luck!

Does anyone know if you would get more aid if you claim on or off campus housing?

i'm not sure... i finished my fafsa today and i put "on campus"... good question though

You do not need to enter your parents info. However, most schools recommend that you do in order to determine eligibility of loans/scholarship, etc. However, you will be considered as independent no matter what because you are pursuing graduate/professional degree.

Not true. It depends on the school, you have to find out. I have posted this in so many threads (because I heard this at both my interviews) yet noone believes me so I took the liberty of researching this.

Here is an example:
Why is parental financial information required by PCOM on my FAFSA if I am independent?

Institutional need-based aid is limited. Therefore, parental data is evaluated to determine equitable distribution of institutional need-based funds. If you are unable to provide parental financial information on the FAFSA, or if you feel that the data inappropriately represents your financial information, you may submit a letter of appeal to the Financial Aid Office.

http://www.pcom.edu/Financial_Aid/finaid_youred/Finaid_youred.html