Showcasing Research + SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PINZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently in an SMP and based on this first semester, I think I'll probably end this program with a 3.7-3.75 GPA. My undergrad gpas were cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.0. From reading a few other threads, I don't know why but some posters have said a SMP 3.7 is somehow low. I'm not sure where they're getting this information from, but I'd like to hear more about it if anyone can offer additional insight into their experiences if they were in a similar situation as me because not to toot my own horn, but this program is by no means easy to get a 4.0 in!

In addition to this, epigenetic research (in a clinical setting) has sort of been my calling or reason to why I want to be a doctor. I've taken on a research project in the program and I believe that by the time I apply to medical school next summer I will have a total of 4 peer reviewed publications (2-3 in stronger journals). Because this is what I really enjoy doing, I wanted to know how best to showcase this in my application? I didn't do things like volunteer at the Red Cross 2 times a week for years because I was working on my research instead...and I just didn't want that balance to somehow hurt my application overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Against a 3.2/3.0 you need the most powerful academic counterexample you can get, and one year in an SMP may or may not be enough. But a 3.7 is pretty good. I think a 4.0 is suspicious. Bottom line, this time next year you'll be on the emotional roller coaster to hell, doubting every decision you ever made while you wait to find out if you're getting accepted anywhere. And one of the things that will NOT STOP crossing your mind is "what if I'd done better in the SMP?!?!?" So don't be happy with a 3.7 if you can 3.8 or 3.9 it.

You're not doing an SMP because you need pubs, you're doing it because your GPA is keeping you out of med school. You could drop half your pubs and not suffer with adcoms. You have no such option with your GPA.

Don't mock that Red Cross gig. There are many reasons that adcoms want to see multi-dimensional healthcare experiences.

There is no formula, nor schedule, for GPA redemption. You aren't going to get good advice from traditional applicants or your classmates. Post-SMP outcomes are almost entirely unpublished. If you want this to work out for you, be humble, be grateful, work your fanny off to get A's, and don't give up.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user