Showing intent for attending a specific school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zouzen

Reaction score
Hi all, I've talked to a few different people about this topic. Some are osteopathic students from years 1-3, and admissions committee members.

I am curious if showing direct intent to attend a specific school, (the intent shown to the adcom specifically) would be beneficial for a potential interview. I was told that a letter of intent is supposed to come only after the interview. But I am not sure if this is the standard or just that person's opinion.

I have made an effort to attend all the informational Webinars I can find for DO schools but recently discovered that COMPNW's program has piqued my interest due to their focus on Lifestyle medicine as a supplementary to their curriculum. As far as I know, very few other DO schools emphasize this, and this is what I am passionate about, so I would like to show my intent for that school in specific. Unfortunately, I did not personalize the secondary regarding this program before I submitted, because I found out about it after the fact. Luckily, I spoke to one of the people on phone under the "contact admissions" number, who told me I am relatively competitive with a 3.86 and a 503 MCAT. So I'm not sure. Rambling a bit here. Would love to hear some thoughts and opinions from experienced members.

TLDR: How to show deep interest in ONE particular DO school to the admissions committee pre-interview invite?

Thank you all, and good luck this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Something that I heard from an Allopathic school is that they can see every time you log into the applicant portal, and really shows interest if they see someone logging in constantly to check their status. Other than that, just give them updates on what you’re doing throughout the year. I don’t know about sending them a letter of intent pre II tho. Think of this like dating, you don’t wanna seem desperate.

Something that I heard from an Allopathic school is that they can see every time you log into the applicant portal, and really shows interest if they see someone logging in constantly to check their status. Other than that, just give them updates on what you’re doing throughout the year. I don’t know about sending them a letter of intent pre II tho. Think of this like dating, you don’t wanna seem desperate.
Don't be creepy and a stalker. Playing hard to get don't work for medical school either because there are too many fish in this ocean and they catch a big fish on every cast, sort to speak. You will get a II if it was meant to be. Otherwise, move on and focus on the ones that give you an II. You will have a good shot at DO school with your stats from what I have seen for the last 3 years on SDN. You will nail it if you are charismatic during the interview. Good looks is not necessary, but can carry you a long ways also.. LOL. GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm I get it, the desperation part. Ill keep note of that lol. seems silly but it makes sense

Don't be creepy and a stalker. Playing hard to get don't work for medical school either because there are too many fish in this ocean and they catch a big fish on every cast, sort to speak. You will get a II if it was meant to be. Otherwise, move on and focus on the ones that give you an II. You will have a good shot at DO school with your stats from what I have seen for the last 3 years on SDN. You will nail it if you are charismatic during the interview. Good looks is not necessary, but can carry you a long ways also.. LOL. GL.
Ty for the motivation lol. I hope to do well.

Hi all, I've talked to a few different people about this topic. Some are osteopathic students from years 1-3, and admissions committee members.

I am curious if showing direct intent to attend a specific school, (the intent shown to the adcom specifically) would be beneficial for a potential interview. I was told that a letter of intent is supposed to come only after the interview. But I am not sure if this is the standard or just that person's opinion.

I have made an effort to attend all the informational Webinars I can find for DO schools but recently discovered that COMPNW's program has piqued my interest due to their focus on Lifestyle medicine as a supplementary to their curriculum. As far as I know, very few other DO schools emphasize this, and this is what I am passionate about, so I would like to show my intent for that school in specific. Unfortunately, I did not personalize the secondary regarding this program before I submitted, because I found out about it after the fact. Luckily, I spoke to one of the people on phone under the "contact admissions" number, who told me I am relatively competitive with a 3.86 and a 503 MCAT. So I'm not sure. Rambling a bit here. Would love to hear some thoughts and opinions from experienced members.

TLDR: How to show deep interest in ONE particular DO school to the admissions committee pre-interview invite?

Thank you all, and good luck this cycle.
You can't cry over spilled milk. Hopefully your application is strong enough as a whole that you will get picked out for an II.

If the school is clearly your top choice (or in your top 2), you have done all you can to show you are interested through your attendance and engagement at various recruitment events for potential applicants. Hopefully you can get that II to express your deep interest.

You heard \wrong.

Well, most of us use the same technology the undergraduate admissions offices use. Undergrad admissions offices love to see that you are interested and engage with the school by checking into the portal, engaging with our hashtag/Tiktok campaigns or GroupMe channels, filling out our inquiry cards so we can send you info packets, chat with students or our website chatbot, and visit our campus. Darn straight, we want to see you immerse yourself in our undergraduate community. If you are a qualified student that wants to come to our undergraduate school and attend, you better be checking in.

That said, we want engaged students. It matters that you keep up your pattern of engagement after you get a waitlist or an offer. Ghost us after you get an offer, we get the hint.

It's all about your metadata and cookies.

You can't cry over spilled milk. Hopefully your application is strong enough as a whole that you will get picked out for an II.

If the school is clearly your top choice (or in your top 2), you have done all you can to show you are interested through your attendance and engagement at various recruitment events for potential applicants. Hopefully you can get that II to express your deep interest.
Good advice, I'll keep up what I am doing and not try to ruin my chances by pushing the envelope. Thank you.

Well, most of us use the same technology the undergraduate admissions offices use. Undergrad admissions offices love to see that you are interested and engage with the school by checking into the portal, engaging with our hashtag/Tiktok campaigns or GroupMe channels, filling out our inquiry cards so we can send you info packets, chat with students or our website chatbot, and visit our campus. Darn straight, we want to see you immerse yourself in our undergraduate community. If you are a qualified student that wants to come to our undergraduate school and attend, you better be checking in.

That said, we want engaged students. It matters that you keep up your pattern of engagement after you get a waitlist or an offer. Ghost us after you get an offer, we get the hint.

It's all about your metadata and cookies.
I had no idea it was like that, very interesting; the metadata, cookies and all. Ill take that into account. Thank you

I had no idea it was like that, very interesting; the metadata, cookies and all. Ill take that into account. Thank you
It is one of the more fascinating areas of admissions in current times, but can't really get into the weeds with faculty committee members. But the C-suite really wants to know, and we need it to justify our recruitment plans.

I can personally tell you that my state MD school keeps a "record" of your interactions with the admissions department.

Years ago, when I decided that I wanted to pursue medical school I went to my state schools open house and met with the director of admissions who is an MD himself. I set up a meeting with him through the admissions department and during that meeting he took notes and put that paper in a filing folder and gave it to the front staff as I was leaving. I never attended that school but if I did, I am sure those "notes" would have resurfaced. Mind you, I was only an undergrad at the time and I did not even apply to the school. I did attend their "mini-med" program for which I received a certificate from the school.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of digital record keeping that some schools are using today for the same purpose.

I have a friend who goes to St. George's in the Caribbean and he says that every time that you call them, they document your conversation and put notes into your "file."

I can personally tell you that my state MD school keeps a "record" of your interactions with the admissions department.

Years ago, when I decided that I wanted to pursue medical school I went to my state schools open house and met with the director of admissions who is an MD himself. I set up a meeting with him through the admissions department and during that meeting he took notes and put that paper in a filing folder and gave it to the front staff as I was leaving. I never attended that school but if I did, I am sure those "notes" would have resurfaced. Mind you, I was only an undergrad at the time and I did not even apply to the school. I did attend their "mini-med" program for which I received a certificate from the school.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of digital record keeping that some schools are using today for the same purpose.

I have a friend who goes to St. George's in the Caribbean and he says that every time that you call them, they document your conversation and put notes into your "file."
Yep... networking before applying matters. Online programs make it so much easier to track your registration and attendance at recruiting events. Same technology for the free webinars to various test prep companies when it comes to marketing via email or embedded ads in the websites you visit.

(Just like I told my students I gave you extra credit assignments before your exams because I don't give it to you after your final to bump up your grades. Anyone who did the extra credit got the bump up by at least a half a letter grade, but it never seemed to resonate with most students for whatever reason...)

[mention]Mr.Smile12 [/mention] Would you consider attending Webinars a form of networking? What about calling admissions office with general questions that are unanswered on their websites?

[mention]Mr.Smile12 [/mention] Would you consider attending Webinars a form of networking? What about calling admissions office with general questions that are unanswered on their websites?
Webinars are opportunities for networking just as attending recruitment fairs. But networking does not just involve being in the room where things happen. You have to engage in a way that you get answers to your questions and a connection for follow-up.

To your second question, I shouldn't call the admissions office (unless they hosted it, but calling???), but I would connect with the panelists featured in the webinar; most of them leave their contact information at the end of the presentation. Email is good for these things.

Reactions: 1 users