Showing up at a D School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpea2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres the deal: Im waitlisted at my top choice dental school. They want fall semester grades, etc. And I only live about 30 mins from the school as well. So i wanted to know if it would be a good thing to (instead of mailing my semester grades to the school) make the trip over to the school and hand in my grades, etc. and tell them in person that its my top choice. Let me know what you think...has it been done before, will it help or hurt, thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Heres the deal: Im waitlisted at my top choice dental school. They want fall semester grades, etc. And I only live about 30 mins from the school as well.

If your'e bored and want to visit the school again you might as well bring it over yourself. It would also give you a chance to meet with the dean of admissions in person and maybe impress him.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea to bring it over. My dentist actually did this with most of his application when he was applying and thought it helped him get accepted, and recommended I do the same. I havent done that since Im not as close to schools as you are, but i dont see any way it could hurt. It could only be a positive, so i say go ahead and take a drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wait listed at a school that I lived close to and I happened to be interviewing there for the Navy HPSP. I was leaving for UNLV the next day and I was going to be in their first class. I thought that I should stop in to Admissions after my HPSP interview, but I figured it was too late and I did not want to bother them. I moved to LV and a few days later got a call from my wait listed school. They said they had a spot and asked if I wanted it. I broke my lease in LV, flew out a friend to help me pack the truck up again, and drove back. It was one expensive trip to LV.

Looking back I should have gone by Admissions since they later revealed that they had a spot that week. It all worked out in the end, but I could have saved a lot of headache by just stopping by. What's the worst thing they could say, you are STILL on the wait list?

Good Luck.

The only problem with taking it yourself is that most schools require a copy directly from your registrars office in a sealed envelope. If your school issues it to you, most will stamp it "issued to student," and at that point it becomes worthless to the schools. They want it directly mailed to them so that there is no way it could have been tampered with. Check with the school to see what their requirements are for a valid transcript.

The only problem with taking it yourself is that most schools require a copy directly from your registrars office in a sealed envelope. If your school issues it to you, most will stamp it "issued to student," and at that point it becomes worthless to the schools. They want it directly mailed to them so that there is no way it could have been tampered with. Check with the school to see what their requirements are for a valid transcript.

You can get the envelope sealed by the registrar so that it will be an official cop of your transcripts that you can hand deliver.

You can get the envelope sealed by the registrar so that it will be an official cop of your transcripts that you can hand deliver.

Some schools still consider this unofficial since it was in the student's hand at one point. Think back when we applied to AADSAS. Transcripts had to be sent directly from the schools and they didn't allow us to collect them first and then send them off.

I would say check with the institution first, because it would be counterproductive to drive out there trying to make a good impression only to be told they can't accept them and to go home and have new ones sent out.

Good point. Plus I highly doubt one would have a chance to speak with the dean because the dean doesn't have time to chat with every person that shows up to the school.

Heres the deal: Im waitlisted at my top choice dental school. They want fall semester grades, etc. And I only live about 30 mins from the school as well. So i wanted to know if it would be a good thing to (instead of mailing my semester grades to the school) make the trip over to the school and hand in my grades, etc. and tell them in person that its my top choice. Let me know what you think...has it been done before, will it help or hurt, thanks in advance for the input!

The school may be your top but you may not be their top choice. They are not likely to take one look at your hand delivered transcripts and make a decision on the spot.

The school may be your top but you may not be their top choice. They are not likely to take one look at your hand delivered transcripts and make a decision on the spot.

Well, that is unless you try sweet talking the secretary. ;)

I thought this thread was going to be about something completely different based on the title. It made me think of a story my dad told me a long time ago. It was either him or a classmate of his who actually showed up on the first day of dental school at Tufts and said "I'm not leaving until you let me in" and they actually let him in :p

I thought this thread was going to be about something completely different based on the title. It made me think of a story my dad told me a long time ago. It was either him or a classmate of his who actually showed up on the first day of dental school at Tufts and said "I'm not leaving until you let me in" and they actually let him in :p

I like this story. :) :thumbup:

That's the kind of story made for TV.

Ok, thank for the replies. The letter that the school sent me said that a student copy of the grades is fine, im sure eventually they will want a copy directly from my school..but for now it wont be counterproductive.