showing up for interviews in a cervical collar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lets cut to the chase.

For reasons I dont want to get into on this forum, I have to wear a cervical collar (aka neck brace) occasionally. This is not a permenant thing.

Would adcoms look at me differently if I showed up with this thing on? Does it show weakness? Strength?

Im interested in your insights.
 
Lets cut to the chase.

For reasons I dont want to get into on this forum, I have to wear a cervical collar (aka neck brace) occasionally. This is not a permenant thing.

Would adcoms look at me differently if I showed up with this thing on? Does it show weakness? Strength?

Im interested in your insights.
If anything, I think they will ask you why you are a wearing a cervical collar.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if you only have to wear it occassionally, why don't you just not wear it for your interview? Unless you want to use it as a conversation starter, then go ahead; they will certainly ask.
 
Can they really ask about why he's wearing a medical device? What if someone''s colostomy bag was talked about or someone's pregnancy? These questions about medical conditions don't seem like they would be ethical.
 
Can they really ask about why he's wearing a medical device? What if someone''s colostomy bag was talked about or someone's pregnancy? These questions about medical conditions don't seem like they would be ethical.

Should they? No
Will they? Probably..
 
Can they really ask about why he's wearing a medical device? What if someone''s colostomy bag was talked about or someone's pregnancy? These questions about medical conditions don't seem like they would be ethical.
Interviews don't really have a code of ethics, last I checked. Hell, some interviewers specifically rely on being dicks and making you uncomfortable, such as asking women why they aren't becoming nurses instead or asking a parent if they feel like going to medical school will lead to their neglecting their children. Asking about an obvious injury is just a normal thing people do. Date I say you would kind of seem inconsiderate for not being like, "whoa, what happened to your neck, are you okay?!"
 
Clip on.

😎
lol to the end of the collar?
Or he should wear this shirt. As you could see he would have space for the C-spine collar.
suit%20shirt.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Occasionally have to wear a cervical collar? Wtf, are you in a fight club or something? Those are usually a "you need it or you don't" kind of device. You don't just occasionally have an unstable c-spine.

False. Acute cervical dystonia.
 
Should they? No
Will they? Probably..

It's an april interview and the applicant is a woman in the middle of their pregnancy.
Interviewer: When is the baby due?
Applicant: Oh, mid-september
I: So you plan on droppin' that kid in the middle of the anatomy block?
A: It kind of just happened that way I guess.
I: Have fun.
 
Are you male or female? (Obviously, female gives you more fashion leeway.)

And if male, is your collar something that can be worn over a traditional suit & tie? If so, that's what you do if you need to wear it.

I would plan on explaining (whether they ask or not) that your disability is a temporary one or if transient-permanent, how you've learned to cope with it. Even if they don't ask, they will wonder, and will probably also wonder if/how it will impact your ability to learn/practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lets cut to the chase.

For reasons I dont want to get into on this forum, I have to wear a cervical collar (aka neck brace) occasionally. This is not a permenant thing.

Would adcoms look at me differently if I showed up with this thing on? Does it show weakness? Strength?

Im interested in your insights.

Hard collar (Miami-J) or soft? Why is it only occasionally? If it's a hard collar, it is typically prescribed 24x7. If it's a soft collar, it's for comofort and you can likely do without it for the duration of the interview and negate the question.
 
If you incurred some type of injury recently, I wonder if it would get you sympathy from the interviewer/adcom (i.e. "Johnny fell down the (partial) side of a mountain and still managed to make it through the application cycle through the pain... He deserves a boost, etc.")
 
Hard collar (Miami-J) or soft? Why is it only occasionally? If it's a hard collar, it is typically prescribed 24x7.

Hard. And yes, it is "as needed". Hence, the question.

BTW, I love all you guys who think you are specialists in neck injuries already. Congrats on being doctors without even going to med school yet!
 
Quit fussing; no one will care. I've had interviewees show up with crutches, casts and splits.

Lets cut to the chase.

For reasons I dont want to get into on this forum, I have to wear a cervical collar (aka neck brace) occasionally. This is not a permenant thing.

Would adcoms look at me differently if I showed up with this thing on? Does it show weakness? Strength?

Im interested in your insights.
 
Hard. And yes, it is "as needed". Hence, the question.

BTW, I love all you guys who think you are specialists in neck injuries already. Congrats on being doctors without even going to med school yet!
lol @ trying to talk down to the neurosurgery resident…keep sipping that kool aid bud. Wow:shrug:
 
That comment was not directed solely at him, as this forum is full of smart-assses.

Wait. Why am I defending my posts to random people on the internet?

Oh nvm.