Shows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are doctor shows at all realistic of what the medical profession is actually like?
 
As a whole? No. It is prime time TV. It is designed to entertain, not inform.

I don't think that any show really captures what day to day life is like because to be frank, it would be incredibly boring the majority of the time. Also, from a content stand point everything is exaggerated or bent to fit the story/characters. Again, such is entertainment.

On the other hand, some shows do address some real issues. Scrubs for instance addresses a lot of the emotions/issues that residents go through and while a little goofy, on the whole is pretty decent.

Last final comment... As a surgical resident... Grey's Anatomy is fantastic. As a drinking game....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my opinion, nah. I mean, I'm no doctor but I'm sure that you don't often see residents, interns and attendings getting it on in the on call room every other day. And real doctors actually know how to correctly pronounce diseases.

They're great shows though! Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy are my favorite. Without all the drama, they would be good shows right? But they're certainly not representative of 'real' medicine.
 
Yes. Especially House and Greys Anatomy.
I suppose MASH was more accurate than most. People died, there were complex interpersonal dynamics, big egos, depression, over reliance on alcohol to self medicate, and some hope.
Interesting. My uncle is a doctor and says he can't even watch House because he finds so much wrong with it. But maybe he's just a nitpicker. 🙂