New AAMC Infographic shows lowest GPA and MCAT of matriculated students in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_mamba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an email from AAMC that showed the range of matriculant stats. To my surprise the range of GPA was 1.92-4.0 and mcat was 478-528. My question is how does an applicant that has a 1.92 or a 478 mcat get admitted to an US allopathic medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_6699.PNG
    IMG_6699.PNG
    226.6 KB · Views: 555
Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email from AAMC that showed the range of matriculant stats. To my surprise the range of GPA was 1.92-4.0 and mcat was 478-528. My question is how does an applicant that has a 1.92 or a 478 mcat get admitted to an US allopathic medical school?
They don't get accepted. I'd say at least 50% of all applicants have no business setting foot on a med school campus, except as a standardized patient.

Reactions: 1 users
They don't get accepted. I'd say at least 50% of all applicants have no business setting foot on a med school campus, except as a standardized patient.
Occasionally they do. Usually because a parent had a very large building named after them...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

But according to that graphic somebody did. My question is how in the world did they?

Where do you see the 1.92 GPA? I see the 478 MCAT.. WOW. That can't be right?

I guess the Puerto Rican school counts though correct? The school has some sub 500 MCATs in the percentile range.. I guess it would have to be from there...

Three letters... U...R...M

Reactions: 7 users
The other possibility is that they had multiple MCAT scores, and that 478 was retaken. The data shows all scores of matriculants, not just their best effort.

Reactions: 11 users
Interesting that this infographic indicates that the average matriculant MCAT is 508.9, while MSAR indicates that it's around 511. Fairly significant discrepancy.

My only guess about the 1.92 is someone failed for like two years in college and then maybe came back a few years later and got a 4.0 after reinvention etc

I highly doubt someone with a pure 1.92 (like consistent sub 2.0 all the time) would get in, there has to be some gpa trend

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that this infographic indicates that the average matriculant MCAT is 508.9, while MSAR indicates that it's around 511. Fairly significant discrepancy.

The average is 508.9.

MSAR reports the median by default.

508.9 average and 511 median sounds about right.

Reactions: 6 users
Why is there a 1000 person difference between enrolled and accepted?

Why is there a 1000 person difference between enrolled and accepted?
Around 5% percent of people accepted to medical school decline or defer their acceptances, deciding to pursue some other field. They probably read too much complaining on SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
You're flirting with danger with 2% battery life OP

But I'm impressed by the applicant GPA still being north of a 3.5, did not realize such strong self-selection even in the application process as I have known quite a few people over the years who applied with sub 3.3s...

Reactions: 7 users

MSAR reports median, not average

who the heck is 19? @Goro

There is a girl at my school who is 18 I think and is applying this cycle. I imagine she will get in, she is pretty smart and at least one of her parents (maybe both) are docs, so she's got the EC, checking boxes thing down and likely a legacy invite waiting somewhere.

leave it to the AAMC to present this data in literally the least helpful and most obfuscated way possible.

The FACTS tables give you a much better idea of what's going on.

Reactions: 5 users

You may want to read the actual info graphic, as it lists the lower bound on range of mcats of enrollees as 478. So at least one person enrolled with a 478 MCAT.

You may want to read the actual info graphic, as it lists the lower bound on range of mcats of enrollees as 478. So at least one person enrolled with a 478 MCAT.

Actually it says 478. Where do you see 498?

Unless you did write 478. Since your post says 498 but your quote in my post says 478......it must be too early for this.

Legacy
URM
KILLER ECs
Compelling life story
Still seems utterly inexplicable, but I don’t think the burden is on Goro to justify some other AdCOM’s [deranged] decision.

Great, now AAMC saying that everyone has a chance, no matter your GPA or MCAT. Hey, that means more money for them if more people apply right?????

I highly doubt that the same person had both lowest GPA and lowest MCAT I also suspect reinvention for the low GPA and perhaps excellent GPA, and a good retake for the MCAT.... perhaps with a compelling story like took MCAT on a day off when otherwise flying bombing runs as an Air Force officer.

Reactions: 4 users
??? With that level of data interpretation, you're gonna get rocked on the MCAT :rofl:

Outliers are plenty when a nice clean statistics chart comes out, you have to read through it to truly understand it.

Wow, Goro is an attending? Y I K E S. Healthcare in America is in dire trouble.

??? With that level of data interpretation, you're gonna get rocked on the MCAT :rofl:
I take it CARS was your most problematic area on the MCAT?

Here's a friendly hint..people on the Bad Boy list shouldn't be so salty. It's an attractant for the Banhammer. Although I do love the smacking sound it makes.

I take it CARS was your most problematic area on the MCAT?

Here's a friendly hint..people on the Bad Boy list shouldn't be so salty. It's an attractant for the Banhammer. Although I do love the smacking sound it makes.

"They don't get accepted. I'd say at least 50% of all applicants have no business setting foot on a med school campus, except as a standardized patient."

Read the graph in the OP again and come back to me when you realize your mistake.

"They don't get accepted. I'd say at least 50% of all applicants have no business setting foot on a med school campus, except as a standardized patient."

Read the graph in the OP again and come back to me when you realize your mistake.
Do you not understand the concept of outliers?

The second part of the comment is self-explanatory.

Do you not understand the concept of outliers?

The second part of the comment is self-explanatory.
Literally everyone in this thread knew that the 1.92 and 478 were outliers except you.

"They don't get accepted". You even bolded the key word there. Y I K E R S.

Literally everyone in this thread knew that the 1.92 and 478 were outliers except you.

"They don't get accepted". You even bolded the key word there. Y I K E R S.
Ahh, I see the cause of the confusion, my bad, and humble apologies, CC.

"My question is how does an applicant that has a 1.92 or a 478 mcat get admitted to an US allopathic medical school?"

I was really thinking about applicants in toto, not the uber rare outliers who get accepted.

The vast majorities of these applicants do indeed get rejected out of hand. Those very lucky few who do get accepted are most probably in the demographics I pointed out earlier.

Now how do I know this? Well I am on the Adcom. And I also talk to members of Adcoms at other schools.

Interestingly, we see the same pattern of applicant quality when faculty jobs are advertised. I would say that half of them have exactly zero expertise in the position being offered.

I specifically know someone with a sub 500 who got in a US MD state school because daddy donates every year

Oh yes, it does. There is a price tag on everything in the world. I don't really know where it falls in the rankings, probably a mid tier

Wow I just thought this was pre-med folklore... scary scary stuff

I highly doubt that the same person had both lowest GPA and lowest MCAT I also suspect reinvention for the low GPA and perhaps excellent GPA, and a good retake for the MCAT.... perhaps with a compelling story like took MCAT on a day off when otherwise flying bombing runs as an Air Force officer.
Pfft, officers. When the fuel runs low they get to fly back to starbucks & a hot shower. Take pity on the enlisted grunts sleeping in the mud.