Shy in Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazzled

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After my psychiatry rotation I'm considering going into the field. My other two interests are family med and internal med. There are a lot of things I like about psychiatry, but there are a couple things I'm not sure about. I'm a somewhat shy person and I wonder if there are many shy successfuly psychiatrists. I don't think it would be a significant problem 1 on 1 with patients, but I imagine having people watch and critique my interviews would be pretty nerve-racking. Also, how do psychiatrists maintain a positive outlook in the face of patients with chronic problems who often worsen despite their best efforts. I realize this happens in all specialties, but for some reason it seems like it would be more difficult in psychiatry.

I appreciate any input people can give.

Thanks!
Laura

Members don't see this ad.

Frazzled said:
After my psychiatry rotation I'm considering going into the field. My other two interests are family med and internal med. There are a lot of things I like about psychiatry, but there are a couple things I'm not sure about. I'm a somewhat shy person and I wonder if there are many shy successfuly psychiatrists. I don't think it would be a significant problem 1 on 1 with patients, but I imagine having people watch and critique my interviews would be pretty nerve-racking. Also, how do psychiatrists maintain a positive outlook in the face of patients with chronic problems who often worsen despite their best efforts. I realize this happens in all specialties, but for some reason it seems like it would be more difficult in psychiatry.

1) An introvert can do very well in psych. You'll probably do a great job at putting your anxious, depressed, and paranoid patients at ease. If you can develop some "internal authority" as you train, you'll also be the kind of person who people listen to when you do speak up.
2) Observed interviews are not that huge a part of your training (unfortunately, perhaps, for some), but you WILL want to intentionally work to desensitize yourself so that you won't freak out on oral boards. Find an attending you trust (and aren't intimidated by) and ask them to see some patients with you and give you supportive feedback.
3) There are days when a patient's story really gets to you, or when you feel powerless in the face of a patient's problems. (For me Peds was too close to home--couldn't handle sick kids, especially seriously ill ones...) Remember that this is a good thing, because it shows that you're still a human, that you're sensitive to others, and still capable of caring. Make sure that you have a life outside of the hospital, that you're taking care of your own internal issues (get therapy yourself if needed), and make sure you keep up good strong professional boundaries vis a vis your patients.

Good luck--welcome on board!

Hi Laura!
I totally agree with OldPsychDoc. I know a number of successful psychiatrists who could be defined as shy. Furthermore I think that, though at first your interactions with the patients may be judged by someone else, it shouldn't be an important part of your future work. Having to cope with powelessness and failure is something that surely happens in this work, but I think that it's something that one can learn to accept and that it shouldn't hinder you from pursuing a carreer in psychiatry. I'm a resident in psy, and I am slowly starting to accept myself that the aim in some situations might be to "care for", instead of "curing", and that it can be a worthwhile endeavor and make a diffierence for the patients. Good luck!