Shy medical school applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shy_Gemini

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know how medical schools view shy/introverted applicants? I am not terribly shy, but I am a bit socially awkward with people I don't know well. I'm a caring person though and very genuine. I just don't know how they might see me or if it means I have no chance since I'm not type A or assertive. Any advice or thoughts? I know grades and MCAT matter most though.. I'm also nervous about that lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone happen to know how medical schools view shy/introverted applicants? I am not terribly shy, but I am a bit socially awkward with people I don't know well. I'm a caring person though and very genuine. I just don't know how they might see me or if it means I have no chance since I'm not type A or assertive. Any advice or thoughts? I know grades and MCAT matter most though.. I'm also nervous about that lol.

Nobody cares unless it impedes your ability to study, learn or take care of patients. If you can't hold a reasonable conversation during an interview, that will be a problem. But, outside of that, it makes zero difference.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know! Thank you. I feel much better :)

I do think that shy applicants tend to perform worse in interviews. (Even MMI - extroversion is correlated with success in MMI)

Practice being more sociable/talkative!
'Shyness' isn't a trait set in stone by any means.

I'm also shy like 90% of the time.

But I can talk loud and pretend like I'm confident when needed.

So...I guess that makes me normal? Most people aren't meeting 20 new friends on a daily basis because they're soooo extroverted.

I think this will be something you can and will have to overcome in the interview. Medicine as a profession requires us to communicate with and care for other people. If we cannot do this effectively, how can an adcom evaluate us to be a good md candidate?.

Fake it till you make it.

Just be sure to make eye contact! (don't keep looking down) Sit up straight, stand tall, chin up..

Let's be real, you already know what the conversation will be (for the most part) so it's not like meeting new people. Check all the interview questions posted for the school and make sure you know how to answer. Practice it. Don't attempt jokes if that's not a strong suit. Not sure what you mean by awkward...

Reactions: 1 users
The perception that introverts don't make for good doctors is simply untrue. You don't have to have an extroverted, domineering personality to be a good doctor or even to excel in your interviews. I personally think that introverts have many strengths that make for excellent leaders. We tend to be better listeners and are more likely to think cautiously before acting out. In team settings, we take more into account everyone's thoughts and ideas rather than being the "assertive alpha" that dictates everything. These are qualities that make for excellent doctors.

However, there is a difference between being introverted and being quiet or socially awkward to the point where you cannot hold a conversation with others. The later is a red flag that could be perceived as a lack of confidence in interviews. So embrace your introversion, but try to work more on confidence! Step out of your comfort zone and do more mock interviews. It also helps to practice talking people you don't know well. It's difficult, but not impossible! Trust me, I'm as introverted as a person could get but with practice I am now at the point where I can connect and carry out a good conversation with interviewers while still being 100% my introverted self.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm naturally introverted and sometimes I can get a bit shy, but whenever I'm at interviews or in any other situation that requires socializing and communicating with others, I just make sure to show my confidence and make conversation. I come out of my shell when I need to, but always remember to stay humble.

It's funny because there is actually a difference between introverted and being shy. Introverted is more of a lack of interest in socializing all the time, whereas shyness is more related to a fear of socializing.

Last edited:
I'm shy in big group situations, but I relax and become totally normal in smaller conversations.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm naturally introverted and sometimes I can get a bit shy, but whenever I'm at interviews or in any other situation that requires socializing and communicating with others, I just make sure to show my confidence and make conversation. I come out of my shell when I need to, but always remember to stay humble.

It's funny because there is actually a difference between introverted and being shy. Introverted is more of a lack of interest in socializing all the time, whereas shyness is more related to a fear of socializing.

My idea of a good time is curling up with a blanket and reading/watching some netflix instead of going out to bars and partying it up with people. I like people on a small group/individual basis...and avoid huge gatherings like weddings unless I HAVE to go (mostly because I find it really tiring to be "on" and feel the obligation to entertain people and make them laugh)

But if my past shows anything, I'm pretty good at communicating...? Or at least, I can teach effectively anyway. You just have to know when to turn it "on" and turn it "off". Nothing wrong with being an introvert as long as you know what you're getting yourself into!

Reactions: 2 users
My idea of a good time is curling up with a blanket and reading/watching some netflix instead of going out to bars and partying it up with people. I like people on a small group/individual basis...and avoid huge gatherings like weddings unless I HAVE to go (mostly because I find it really tiring to be "on" and feel the obligation to entertain people and make them laugh)

But if my past shows anything, I'm pretty good at communicating...? Or at least, I can teach effectively anyway. You just have to know when to turn it "on" and turn it "off". Nothing wrong with being an introvert as long as you know what you're getting yourself into!

Exactly! Couldn't have explained it any better myself.

I wouldn't recommend this if you're not sure you could do this, but sometimes, I have a little bit of alcohol before interviews to relax the nerves and help open up.