SI Instructor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this program exists at most schools, especially larger schools, so please bear with me. I'm just about to finish up my 2nd semester Intro. Chem. (104) course, and I'll be taking 1st semester Organic next semester. Earlier this week, my chem. professor asked me if I'd like to teach SI (supplemental instruction) for her 104 course next semester. It's basically a program where students who are currently in the course can go to an organized instruction session with a student who has been through (and gotten an A in) the course before. I go to SI now, and it seems like it would be fun to teach. You get paid for your time, but the time part is where my question comes in. I'd love to do it, but I'm going to have a pretty full schedule next semester (16 credits/ 3 labs), what should I do? The main reason I'd do it would be to establish a better relationship with my chem. professor, who I'm already pretty cool with, and who I know would write a top-notch LOR for me a few years down the road. However, like I said, I don't want to compromise my studies to do so (SI is supposedly an 10-12 hour/ week time committment for the instructor). Also, I'm thinking about changing schools after next semester. As you can see, this is sort of a mess. In any case, my prof. wants my answer by Monday, and I have no idea what to say! Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i am an SI leader for organic chemistry... one of the best experiences I have ever had. I got letters from the professor and the SI program director as recommendations. It's a lot of work though... I put in approximately 13 hours a week between attending lectures and holding review sessions but for med schools, it shows a level of leadership, dedication, and an ability to teach others that will come in handy in medical school.

Thanks Dr. D. D., I appreciate the response. I have to give my answer by tomorrow, so I think I'll do it and see what happens. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my studying for other (more important) classes. Thanks again for the input!

Regards,
Mark

I work as an SI for organic and it is an awesome job. You really get to work close with the prof and you really get to master the material. That is a huge plus when you are an SI for material that will be on the MCAT. The time commitment can really vary. You are not really working all that much. You have to sit through lecture (just study other stuff if you are up on the material) and then 3 hours a week for your sessions. We get like 4-6 hours of prep time a week... and I take about 30-45 minutes a session to plan. Plus, if you SI for the class again you already have all your lesson plans made out. I would say go for it!!!