side effects of retail

Started by nafcillin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nafcillin

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a retail job now and work part time hospital. Lately, I've been so stressed, can't sleep, feel crappy overall. I was never like this before and my hours are better than ever. Are there side effects to working retail? I'm not in for a retail bash but I'm a pretty sensitive person and retail doesn't treat those types too kindly.
 
"Retail doesn't treat those types too kindly"? What is "retail"? My PDM is a figurehead but my partner is great, the techs work hard, some patients are pissy but for every crappy one there's three or four humane grateful ones. If you're sensitive enough to be upset, hopefully you can use that sensitivity to help people who really might need it too, like the parent with the two-year old who comes in from the hospital with a script and a new public welfare card five minutes before closing. If you can't get used to the rude people though, then retail is not for you. Maybe just give it another week or so.
 
I have a retail job now and work part time hospital. Lately, I've been so stressed, can't sleep, feel crappy overall. I was never like this before and my hours are better than ever. Are there side effects to working retail? I'm not in for a retail bash but I'm a pretty sensitive person and retail doesn't treat those types too kindly.


If you hate your job, do something else. Try to laugh at things, realize there are nice people and there are *******s, try to forget the buttheads and focus on the people who need/want help. In the end if the job makes you feel like hell then quit and stick to hospital or closed door pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can relate. I enjoy helping those individuals who are grateful, but then there always seems to be that one person every once in awhile that just ruins everything by throwing a fit about something completely ridiculous....and it's usually nothing that is in my control (like being unhappy about the price of something).

Also, about the physical part of retail - my knees and feet bother me sometimes because we stand all day where I work. I often times wear my nice clothes and then comfortable sneakers because they are the only shoes I've found so far that help.

I'm actually leaving soon for a different pharmacy work environment, and I'm looking forward to the comfortable leather chairs they provide there. 😀
 
Don't work so many hours if you don't have to.

Have a life outside work...