Side jobs before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iridocyclitiss

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have already planned out my vacation during match week. I can see the merit in doing more than a week's worth of vacation, but money is definitely tight after fourth year. I want to make even the smallest dent in my debt. Or move to where I'm doing residency. Did anyone else have a side hustle before residency, and is this a good idea?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Investing is the best side hustle. This year alone, my capital gains have total low 5 figures selling puts and calls. And being in the lowest tax bracket as a student, my taxes are minimal. Learn the market.
Yep, good idea to sit down with a CFP (~$200 per hour usually) and discuss types of invest accounts, paying loans vs invest priorities, types of investments, etc.

There are a lot of good books also.... try a couple and then work with a pro to see if you're understanding it right.

Many people like White Coat Investor or Bogleheads... both pretty basic and pretty slanted to index investing, but good.
 
I have already planned out my vacation during match week. I can see the merit in doing more than a week's worth of vacation, but money is definitely tight after fourth year. I want to make even the smallest dent in my debt. Or move to where I'm doing residency. Did anyone else have a side hustle before residency, and is this a good idea?
Might be more worthwhile to visit some places where you might consider wanting to practice and see if they would let you work as a scribe, make some quick cash, network, and see if you like the people working there