*sigh* What are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

schizofreudian

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are a million threads just like this, but this is something that has just been eating me up inside lately.
I just recently graduated from Portland State University with a B.S. in Psychology, an overall GPA of 3.79, and a science GPA of 3.76. I've completed the pre-med requirements for most med-schools I've looked at, completed the University Honors Program, wrote an undergraduate thesis, have several excellent LOR's lined up, was an officer in Psi Chi for a year, and have been volunteering at OHSU for about a year now.
I felt I was in pretty good shape, and then I took the MCAT this past summer, and got my results of a 25 O. Needless to say, I was a little dissapointed. I plan on retaking the MCAT this upcoming summer, as well as applying this year.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that I somehow only get a 25 again, or only marginally improve my scores (say a 26 or a 27). What do you think my odds would be regarding getting into a school like OHSU or University of Washington?

Thanks for listening to my rant. I look forward to your feedback! 😳
 
It's going to hurt. You do need to be >30 (10/10/10) to be minimally competetive at most MD programs.

I know there are a million threads just like this, but this is something that has just been eating me up inside lately.
I just recently graduated from Portland State University with a B.S. in Psychology, an overall GPA of 3.79, and a science GPA of 3.76. I've completed the pre-med requirements for most med-schools I've looked at, completed the University Honors Program, wrote an undergraduate thesis, have several excellent LOR's lined up, was an officer in Psi Chi for a year, and have been volunteering at OHSU for about a year now.
I felt I was in pretty good shape, and then I took the MCAT this past summer, and got my results of a 25 O. Needless to say, I was a little dissapointed. I plan on retaking the MCAT this upcoming summer, as well as applying this year.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that I somehow only get a 25 again, or only marginally improve my scores (say a 26 or a 27). What do you think my odds would be regarding getting into a school like OHSU or University of Washington?

Thanks for listening to my rant. I look forward to your feedback! 😳
 
For Oregon and Washington, you should be ok because they are so highly in state preferenced and have a low avg MCAT/GPA compared to other schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's say, for arguments sake, that I somehow only get a 25 again, or only marginally improve my scores (say a 26 or a 27). What do you think my odds would be regarding getting into a school like OHSU or University of Washington?
Unless you represent a diverse element that US MD schools long to have represented in their class, as well as solid ECs, you'd be more likely to have a successful application cycle if you were to emphasize DO schools on your application list rather than MD.
 
If you don't improve, you should look to apply primarily DO.

You may say, "I want to go MD."

And I understand that.

But I bet if you think about it, you want to be a doctor. You'd prefer to be an MD.

Best of luck on the retake! SN2EDs schedule in the mcat forum is good stuff.
 
If you Are an Oregon resident then you got a good shot at OHSU if you get a balanced 28 or higher IMO. UW Is very tricky to get in as an OOR (Out of Region) applicant. On a similar note OHSU doesn't place you in one of their mission groups if your GPA and MCAT are less than 3.65 and 32 respectively. Granted there are other mission groups but this is the most common one OOS applicants fall into.
 
If you're in-region (WWAMI) I think you'd have a pretty decent shot at University of Washington with a 28 + good EC's, etc.