Sign language?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammedshsh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you ever thought that maybe learning ASL can help you become a better doctor?

After watching an episode of Scrubs, when no one knew sign language, and only the janitor knew, I think it may be a good idea to learn.

That being said, what's a good way to learn? I don't wanna take classes at my CC.

Members don't see this ad.

As with any other foreign language, I believe that studying the language not only allows you to communicate without barriers or translators (so as to not lose things in translation =P). Additionally, you would be more effective in understanding how someone who is deaf views the world.

Yes, I think it's a great idea if everyone everywhere learned all foreign languages, but don't learn it simply because you think it would make you a better doctor. You must be interested in the language to effectively integrate in your practice.

IMO, I think that learning a language requires you to take a class so that you don't slack off (perhaps that just me =P). In the case of sign language, I have found in the past that learning from a deaf teacher will give you a much different experience (imo much better) than one who is hearing.It then forces you to learn sign language rather than relying on words. Concurrently, I think that it is good to practice with others who are fluent in sign language so that you can keep learn the fluidity of signs and how different "accents" are portrayed from person to person.

Of course, all these suggestions are not just limited to sign language, but can be applied broadly to other foreign languages as well.

Sure it can't hurt to learn ASL, but you're much better off learning Spanish if you want to be a better doctor in this country. Unless you're interested in focusing on deaf patients specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that Spanish is the one to learn if you want something relevant.

I looked into taking ASL, but it's really hit & miss as to which institutions offer it - nothing close to me offered it at the time.

I agree that Spanish is the one to learn if you want something relevant.

I looked into taking ASL, but it's really hit & miss as to which institutions offer it - nothing close to me offered it at the time.

Yeah my CC offers it, but I don't really want to take it.

Yeah, I agree, Spanish is the best to learn. I stopped in high school in spanish 2, I would have been in Spanish 5, but no, my slacker-ass was too stupid to realize.

But oh well. I'll just Rosetta-Stone it.

I took ASL 1 but no schools around here offer a translator program. Id have loved to do the whole thing though...

I am interested in linguistics and I have studied several languages. Chinese gave me no problem either. Sign Language, however, is proving impossible for me to remember. I just don't think I am a very visual person. Any tips?

But I have the perfect avatar for this thread!

i took ASL as my foreign language in undergrad. I've managed to retain enough of it to be conversational, it would definately take some brushing up to be useful in the clinic. But, if you go to the right undergrad (doesn't have to be CC) they will offer it, just not many do. My undergrad now actually offers ASL as a minor too.

i took ASL as my foreign language in undergrad. I've managed to retain enough of it to be conversational, it would definately take some brushing up to be useful in the clinic. But, if you go to the right undergrad (doesn't have to be CC) they will offer it, just not many do. My undergrad now actually offers ASL as a minor too.

For those interested, UCSD SOM has a very involved ASL and Deaf Culture clinical elective which teaches both the language and helps with cultural competency (particularly for the hearing.)

^^wow! do you know of any other schools that offer this?? as an elective at a medical school are you allowed to choose ANYTHING.. such as the deaf culture clinical elective?? This sounds like something id LOVE!

My CC offers a whole associates degree in ASL.

I know the alphabet only but I can sign the letters pretty fast and carry on a conversation with someone who understands them:)

I took ASL in high school. Haven't used it in ages but am still pretty good with it.

Unfortunately its really somethign you need to take a class in. Books don't work because its hard to figure out exactly what your hands are supposed to do from pictures and most videos are badly done.

Plus ASL is actually really hard to learn there is a whole grammatical structure that is very different than the way you speak English.

Definitely worth learning but really is going to require a class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took two years of sign language at NYU and consider my self to be pretty decent. All of my teachers were deaf and I think that really helped to pick it up. Also we were required to go to mandatory deaf events and so every couple of months I would go to a Deaf Poetry Night at the Bowery Poetry club in the village of NYC. I find that in NYC I always see people on the streets and on the subways who are deaf and so I figure that learning it will be quite useful since I plan on staying in the city.:D

not bashing the OP andno offense, but isnt it funny that he got this idea fromscrubs? Iwonder how many ppl decide they want to do medicine bc of scrubs, greys, etc.??

In the case of sign language, I have found in the past that learning from a deaf teacher will give you a much different experience (imo much better) than one who is hearing.It then forces you to learn sign language rather than relying on words.

I'm pretty sure the teacher I'm taking it from this semester is deaf. There's two of them, I'm just not sure which is which. I'll find out in a few days, I suppose.

I'm personally interested in becoming fluent in it because my cousin is mostly deaf, and it's really difficult for me to communicate with him as a result. if it helps me after I become a doctor, then awesome. If not, it's a learning experience.

Have any of you ever thought that maybe learning ASL can help you become a better doctor?

After watching an episode of Scrubs, when no one knew sign language, and only the janitor knew, I think it may be a good idea to learn.

That being said, what's a good way to learn? I don't wanna take classes at my CC.
I didnt watch that episode but I took one yr. (2 sems) of ASL and my professor for the second sem. was completely deaf. It was a great class. I loved it. Take it if you have the chance.

^^wow! do you know of any other schools that offer this?? as an elective at a medical school are you allowed to choose ANYTHING.. such as the deaf culture clinical elective?? This sounds like something id LOVE!

Rochester, NY has the highest per capita deaf population in the United States, and so the University of Rochester School of Medicine offers a pathway in Deaf Health (Language, Culture, and Healthcare).

I've always wanted to take ASL but the times during the day when it's offered conflicts with my schedule...that's one of the things I would like to do this summer (or Spanish)

I am focusing on working with Deaf patients, so I'll make a little argument against the previous comments of spanish being more important. Of course knowing Spanish will cover more patients, but do not look over the impact you can have. If you are fluent in sign language, depending on your location, I can tell you in all honesty that you will definitely be the only doctor who is in your town, most likely in your county, and in your state you could only count on your hand how many are fluent (and that is an overestimation). This is because although there are great stories about deaf individuals getting through medical school, it is almost an anomaly. When I interview at places, the interviewer will usually say "oh, about 12 years ago we had a deaf student here", insinuating that this is a great success. Imagine someone saying "oh 12 years ago we had a person who was a native spanish speaker".
I talk with a lot of Deaf people and they say, "just tell me where you are going to set up your practice and I will move there". There is such a desperate need. If a deaf person shows up to the ER in a community hospital and there is no interpretor, they are screwed (unless there is some family member who can translate), but with spanish there is a higher likelihood that someone in the hospital (doc, nurses, staff, visitors) can speak the language, and help (although this kind of "is there an interpretor in the house?" format is deplorable).
So I think it is something that if you want to feel like you are making a huge dent in a health care system that often makes you feel like you could disappear and no patients would notice, ASL could be for you. But if you are looking to tap into as many unrepresented patients as possible, spanish may be for you.
Another downside to ASL, it is pretty much only used here. With spanish you can get by in several countries (even still be fluent in many), but with many countries there are different sign languages. But it really does not need to be a judgment call. Try them out, see what works. I tried spanish, even latin (of course not for actually using with anyone) and just couldn't grasp it. But the visual nature of ASL just came easy to me (well not easy, but I didn't mind the struggles that come with learning a language). And I feel in love with deaf culture. Just try it out and see if it works for you, if it does, you will be helping a great deal of people.

Now that I finished my rant, I thought I offer what little advice I have on learning ASL.

I see that with any language there are two steps. Step one is just learning enough of the language and structure to be able to sit down with a fluent person who knows you suck at ASL, and together you can make it through a conversation. This is what classes, and workbooks, etc are good for.

The second step is becoming fluent (over several years) by engaging in these conversations with a fluent asl speaker. Now the one thing that you med applicants are is resourceful, so you will probably find the best way to get involved with fluent asl speakers and be able to have these conversations.

The problem with ASL is that there is no ASL country. You can't immerse yourself in the language like you can by traveling to france or spain, etc. And I argue that immersion is the best, if not only, way to become fluent in a language (and I mean fluent enough that you can be trusted to convey important medical information and advise to a patient in ASL without an interpretor). There are several ways to immerse yourself. Interpretor training programs, working/volunteering at a deaf independent living center or support organization, school for the deaf, and even going to deaf socials (look them up, there are plenty). What I found most helpful was an ASL immersion program. There are several around the country but usually each is only held once a year (so search early). Basically it is all people like yourself trying to learn ASL, and for a week you are not allowed to use your voice. You have deaf teachers also. It definitely sucks. It puts you out of your element, and you feel so muted and even alone. But there is no stronger motivation than that. If you want to have a conversation with someone, make a friend, ask for no butter on your potato, or just plain survive, you have to learn and retain what your learning. And it is like your brain knows. I took that program right when I was staring ASL 1 at a Community College, and after I got back my teacher said that I should probably skip to ASL 3. If you have the time, it is the best way to learn.

So learning ASL is definitely a disjointed process, and you will probably have to create your own path, but if you want it and have the time and energy, you should do it. If anyone wants to ask me anything on it, feel free to message me. I can probably be most helpful with Massachusetts area programs but maybe I can help in general. And if anyone has any advice or programs, please let me know. I'm going to start looking up that UC, please post the link if anyone finds it.

I am focusing on working with Deaf patients, so I'll make a little argument against the previous comments of spanish being more important. Of course knowing Spanish will cover more patients, but do not look over the impact you can have. If you are fluent in sign language, depending on your location, I can tell you in all honesty that you will definitely be the only doctor who is in your town, most likely in your county, and in your state you could only count on your hand how many are fluent (and that is an overestimation). This is because although there are great stories about deaf individuals getting through medical school, it is almost an anomaly. When I interview at places, the interviewer will usually say "oh, about 12 years ago we had a deaf student here", insinuating that this is a great success. Imagine someone saying "oh 12 years ago we had a person who was a native spanish speaker".
I talk with a lot of Deaf people and they say, "just tell me where you are going to set up your practice and I will move there". There is such a desperate need. If a deaf person shows up to the ER in a community hospital and there is no interpretor, they are screwed (unless there is some family member who can translate), but with spanish there is a higher likelihood that someone in the hospital (doc, nurses, staff, visitors) can speak the language, and help (although this kind of "is there an interpretor in the house?" format is deplorable).
So I think it is something that if you want to feel like you are making a huge dent in a health care system that often makes you feel like you could disappear and no patients would notice, ASL could be for you. But if you are looking to tap into as many unrepresented patients as possible, spanish may be for you.
Another downside to ASL, it is pretty much only used here. With spanish you can get by in several countries (even still be fluent in many), but with many countries there are different sign languages. But it really does not need to be a judgment call. Try them out, see what works. I tried spanish, even latin (of course not for actually using with anyone) and just couldn't grasp it. But the visual nature of ASL just came easy to me (well not easy, but I didn't mind the struggles that come with learning a language). And I feel in love with deaf culture. Just try it out and see if it works for you, if it does, you will be helping a great deal of people.

The OP does not sound like he wants to specialize in working with deaf patients (he got the idea of learning ASL from Scrubs, so... yeah). Unless you plan to specifically work with this population, ASL is no more important than any other language that is not oft-spoken in this country (Telugu, Afrikaans, whatever). There's a need for physicians who can speak these other languages just as much. Like it or not, without specializing in a certain population, Spanish is THE language to learn as a physician.

The best way to learn ASL is through formal instruction if you are someone who hasn't had prior exposure to it before. You can learn through interactions with the Deaf community, however the exclusivity of the community makes it more difficult to learn if you don't demonstrate that you are willing to work for it.

ASL is unique in how you can't pick it up from a textbook or Rosetta Stone (which doesn't exist for ASL, by the way) but that fluency will only be gained through hard work and a HIGH level of interaction with the community. I studied ASL and Linguistics for 2 1/2 years and only now can I consider myself fluent because I work with the community every day. Its hard work. There are no books to refer to, no literature to read. ASL dictionaries are outdated and inaccurate. The Deaf community is very protective of its language from people it perceives as learning ASL for the novelty of it, especially considering the recent increase in people wanting to learn it. If you live in an area with a lot of Deaf/Hard of Hearing people, go to as many Deaf Happy Hours as possible: maybe someone will take you under their wing, because you kind of have to be grandfathered into everything or you won't gain respect or the high level of proficiency you'd ideally want if you want to work with Deaf patients.

As for its "usefulness", there is a huge need of doctors who can sign. Every time I mention I want to be a doctor to a D/HH person they are excited and very positive that the need within the community is being addressed. Due to technical standards of medical school admission it is near impossible for a profoundly culturally Deaf person to become a medical doctor, so any helping hand is appreciated. Keep in mind it is a low-incidence population though - Spanish would come in handy more than ASL would unless you practice in areas like Rochester, DC, or some areas in California and Texas.

PS, Lennybruce, I'm shocked you would say "it sucks" to have a Deaf instructor: how the hell else would you expect to learn as well if not from the source? Its an intentional challenge and it gives you a lot more credibility if you learn ASL from a Deaf person than a hearing one. Come on now.

Rochester, NY has the highest per capita deaf population in the United States, and so the University of Rochester School of Medicine offers a pathway in Deaf Health (Language, Culture, and Healthcare).

Yep! We have a program... I'm starting it later in the semester. We learn some of the language, how to communicate w/ an interpreter, and get to meet a lot of Deaf people from the area.

My experience learning ASL was all over the map. My first high school was a magnet school for the deaf. I took ASL with a deaf teacher and many deaf friends (thats how they got around the foreign language requirement :p). However, I knew a good deal before I took the class because of being friends with some D/HH people before. As time passed, I had to even interpret for them (the best I could with what I had learend) because our school district was very short on interpreters. Once you got a hold on the deaf community, there are a lot of deaf events. In Southern California, places like DIsneyland and 6 flags have deaf days where, people with the appropriate fliers, can get in at a decreased cost and there is a huge exposure to the deaf community.

Then I changed high schools. My second teacher was hearing and had NO IDEA and even asked me for help sometimes. There was hardly any deaf community there and it was a real challenge.

I find ASL very useful and I've retained more of it than the Spanish I've taken in university. I've gone to places all over and signed with people, even helping people on the airplane recently because the stewardess was about to slap this guy for not putting his chair in the upright position. He couldn't hear the annoucnemtns!!!

Anyway I think you should go for it - but not because you saw it on Scrubs (which I'm so hpapy is back!). Find a place where you can take it from a deaf instructor, even if that is a CC. If that is all that there is, and you are truly interested, it shouldn't matter where you take it.