Significance of Medical Schools Reaching out From Medical Minority Applicant Registry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drcyberpsych

Reaction score
Hi there! I have recently received an email from CWRU stating that based on my MCAT score and being a part of the Medical Minority Applicant Registry, they have seen my potential for being a future medical student in their campus. I saw their usual high stats and their ranking as a good research school, so I didn't think my stats were going to be considered (median MCAT of 519 on MSAR, and I've got a 510 with 127/127/128/128). Not sure if they are going to consider me after I submit my AMCAS due to my GPA. But I just wanted to ask, has anyone gotten any similar emails by being registered in the Med-MAR? And has anyone gotten accepted by any of those schools that emailed?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I have recently received an email from CWRU stating that based on my MCAT score and being a part of the Medical Minority Applicant Registry, they have seen my potential for being a future medical student in their campus. I saw their usual high stats and their ranking as a good research school, so I didn't think my stats were going to be considered (median MCAT of 519 on MSAR, and I've got a 510 with 127/127/128/128). Not sure if they are going to consider me after I submit my AMCAS due to my GPA. But I just wanted to ask, has anyone gotten any similar emails by being registered in the Med-MAR? And has anyone gotten accepted by any of those schools that emailed?
Schools that use this list, send them to just about everybody.
It's one of the ways they can show the LCME that they are making an effort.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I'll be aware of that so I don't pay extra on the secondaries haha as a part of a low SES household, every penny counts

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I wanted to know if this is standard and common place, or if there is any bearing at all? I'm curious to know if this also depends on the school. The e-mail I received was from CWRU urging me to apply to the school and register for an information session.

If I recall from back to applying to universities, these were pretty common place and didn't have much bearing at all except what I presume is for marketing.

Schools want to encourage minority students to consider their school because that is the first step in actually matriculating a diverse student body. They have to demonstrated to LCME, the accrediting body for med schools, that they have at least made an effort to recruit a diverse student body so using the medical minority applicant registry is evidence of that effort.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I wanted to know if this is standard and common place, or if there is any bearing at all? I'm curious to know if this also depends on the school. The e-mail I received was from CWRU urging me to apply to the school and register for an information session.

If I recall from back to applying to universities, these were pretty common place and didn't have much bearing at all except what I presume is for marketing.
The same situation popped up a week ago from another applicant on the list. I have merged these threads and you can see the past responses.

Reactions: 1 users
This is great, thank you! It happened to be a school on my to-apply list anyways, but it's opened up a great opportunity to speak with the dean of admissions there! Exciting nonetheless!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In admissions, we love contact lists, and a directory of self identified minority applicants helps us fulfill our communications plans and potential program outreach to minority candidates. (I think there are similar voluntary lists for college and other graduate admissions.) We want to help any people who do not have other help navigating the admissions process. In the end, we can't get to a more diverse student body if we don't do our part to encourage diverse candidates to submit strong applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools that use this list, send them to just about everybody.
It's one of the ways they can show the LCME that they are making an effort.
How else do schools show the LCME that they are making an effort to recruit URM applicants? Percent underrepresented in the class?

How else do schools show the LCME that they are making an effort to recruit URM applicants?
Presentations to community colleges, state unis, pipeline programs, research opportunities, field trips to the med school for high schoolers...that sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 user
How else do schools show the LCME that they are making an effort to recruit URM applicants? Percent underrepresented in the class?
Dean's level appointee for diversity, belonging, and/or community engagement with appropriate funding. Responsible for internal assessment and external recruitment before applying, consistent with program mission/vision.