1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

signing an offer

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by needadvice, Feb 19, 2002.

  1. needadvice

    needadvice Member
    7+ Year Member

    Sep 12, 2001
    Likes Received:
    i have a question. i have been offered a position in a residency outside of the match and mailed an offer letter with a deadline. in the letter, it states i will recieve a contract in march. i am still waiting to hear from a program of my choice. if i sign the offer, am i obligated to attend this program or can i switch if i get the offer from my choice program.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. docab

    docab Member
    10+ Year Member

    Oct 9, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Is this for an R1 position? I may be speaking in error, but I thought the deadline for offering/accepting a position outside the match has already passed. If this is for an R2 or R3 position, then that's a different story.

    Either way, if you sign a contract you are obligated to stay with that program. If you back out to accept another program's offer, the PD could potentially cause significant problems for you (including reporting you to ERAS, other services that deal with fellowship matches, and other medical organizations). Our PD wouldn't hesitate to call the other PD and tell him/her if you backed out on a contract (assuming he could figure out where you opted to go instead). On the flip side, if it was our PD who rec'd a phone call from another PD stating that you backed out on a contract, he would consider it a lack of integrity on your part and rescind his offer too. Keep in mind you'd be screwing over a lot of people, including the other residents who were counting on your presence. While you think the program can always get another person, they may have lost opportunties for good candidates during the time they thought you were coming.

    My advise: call your first choice program and tell them your dilemma. Find out where they're at with their decision and what chances you have. Don't commit to a program unless you're ready to go there. Best in luck with making the decision and I hope it works out the way you want.

Share This Page