Signing outside match in Neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cafe au lait

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! I was wondering if it was possible to sign outside the match for a Neuro residency as an FMG? How would I go about finding out this information? Would this be possible at an ACGME training program or would I have to consider unaccredited programs? I'm currently doing my third year rotations and am planning on doing electives at hospitals I would like to match/sign with next year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no authority on the subject. but my understanding is that you apply via eras and go through most of the process like everyone else. and during the interview, if they like you they will offer to sign you outside the match. You then sign the contract and PULL OUT of the match before match day.

That's how it is sometimes in internal medicine. I'm assuming it's the same for neurology.

they can only do this to/for FMG not US grads, but i'm not sure about us grads from foriegn countries.

Hope it helps

It's certainly possible. I went straight into the PGY-2 class in neuro in 2004 outside the match. The only way I found out about this was because I sent e-mails to all the neuro program directors in the US enquiring about research positions. It just happened that they were going to be short of 1 adult neuro res in the chief year so I filled in.

The only downside is that I started mid-year thus off-cycle and now I have to go back and do an internship in internal medicine before i'm eligible for board certification or fellowship. Also if you are new to the country, if you go outside the match you wont get to see what other programs are like

Also neuro operates through SFmatch not ERAS.

My advice is to send emails to all the program directors and you may get lucky.

Neuro no longer operates via SF match. As of this year it's ERAS/NRMP.