Signout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafeconleche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residents-what system does your program use for creating patient lists? I'm looking into better systems for our residency's signout (which is currently a word doc). the biggest problem is that only one person at a time can edit it...ugh. any advice would be appreciated! it has to be hipaa-compliant, so google docs is a no-go.

Members don't see this ad.

Residents-what system does your program use for creating patient lists? I'm looking into better systems for our residency's signout (which is currently a word doc). the biggest problem is that only one person at a time can edit it...ugh. any advice would be appreciated! it has to be hipaa-compliant, so google docs is a no-go.

The IM department uses IMBills
The Peds and Surgery departments use Microsoft Access
Everyone else uses patient lists built by Epic (our hospital's EMR system)

We use an excel worksheet that is only supposed to be open in the call room for our less busy services. Still working out something for the busier ones.

I like the idea of the worksheet for the busy services but each person has their own that they are responsible for. Print it out and you have a pretty good checkout sheet.

We use microsoft access with a really user friendly interface that our old program director designed. Fits a pretty decent amount of info that we enter manually (can use one of several computers that have access to it and can be used by more than one person at a time and somehow doesn't get messed up). I prefer it over the lists I have gotten from EMR systems I've used because the info is customized for our needs (I don't care what the admit diagnosis is for my consult patients, usually doesn't tell me what I need to know).

We have a program that was created in-house that links to the EMR (developed/designed several years ago by the IM residents in conjunction with the IT dept...out of frustration with the word doc system, I think). It has fields to fill in CC, HPI, hospital course, ongoing problems, relevant studies, things to do, notes for night float etc. Since it can access the EMR it auto-populates the current med list (as well as recently d/c'd meds), the most recent labs and patient info (contact name/number, PCP, etc). It also has functions where each team member can generate their own list of patients, but whatever has been manually entered for that patient (HPI, hospital course etc) gets carried over to anyone else's list that patient appears on (e.g. the senior resident, or when a patient transfers services or in/out of the unit). It's accessible from any computer in the hospital.

It's a pretty good system...and something I definitely took for granted until discovering on the residency interview trail that other places use word docs, etc.

I built a Microsoft access split tables database. I uses access because everybody already has it.

Since I built it, it has all the elements that we want/desire.

The best sign out patient list I have come across is actually web based, called edoclist.com. They allow you to customize the field names as well. Our residents use it. Also the pulmonary fellows use it as well I think.