General Signs of a bad PI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am an undergrad doing social science research with a PI. We received funding to conduct the research topic that we originally submitted for the research grant. I then asked my PI how I should prepare myself for the research that we would be doing that semester, and he ignored my email until two weeks before the semester began. He said he would discuss more during the semester, and that's when we talked about more about our research project. A few weeks later, my PI completely changed our research topic and the research we would be doing after spending weeks on literature review. I brushed it aside and went with the flow. A new research idea that my PI wanted us to do in which I spent writing sections on was completely tossed in the bin. Again, he changed our research topic into something else. With the research grant program, I needed to reach a certain number of hours yet my PI never gave me enough work to focus on my research project simply because 1. He kept changing our research topic every few weeks; 2. I was never fully updated with the work that I should have been doing on a weekly basis. When I did complete work, he would sometimes nitpick at my files and told me to orient them in a different way than what he previously had asked me to do. Other times, he claims that he would look at my work only to never hear from him regarding the progress of my work.

Now I am in my room basically having a panic attack because I do not have enough hours and I will probably face repercussions from the research grant recipients because I did not obtain enough research hours this semester. I got frustrated with the progress made so far because I did not feel challenged whatsoever nor felt like I did anything this semester. So, I also told my PI that I wanted to work in another lab while simultaneously working in his lab for next semester, and he strongly discouraged me in doing so. He even told me that he is wary to have students give presentations and publications who do not focus solely on his lab. Now, I feel stuck and am unsure of what I should do in terms of research. Is this a sign of a bad PI and should I try to join that second research lab anyway despite my PI discouraging me not to? Should I also report this to the grant recipients if I do end up being interrogated on the amount of research hours I have done this semester? I literally feel like I did little to no research this semester at all despite having research funding.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know who gave you the grant, but this will be your PI's problem, not yours. If the topic is so completely different than what was proposed, your PI had to justify it or lose the grant. You just need to do what is asked of you as an undergrad research assistant, but you do have options.

The signs to me are there: if you aren't meeting frequently to go over how to move forward in the project, if there's a real lack of communication or connection, and if your mental health is suffering, it's time to go IMO.

Check with the faculty director of undergrad studies for your department about what you can do to find a new lab group sooner than later.

Yes this is a bad PI. It doesn’t sound like you’re close to a presentation or pub based on what you’ve done so far, so you won’t lose much by switching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know who gave you the grant, but this will be your PI's problem, not yours. If the topic is so completely different than what was proposed, your PI had to justify it or lose the grant. You just need to do what is asked of you as an undergrad research assistant, but you do have options.

The signs to me are there: if you aren't meeting frequently to go over how to move forward in the project, if there's a real lack of communication or connection, and if your mental health is suffering, it's time to go IMO.

Check with the faculty director of undergrad studies for your department about what you can do to find a new lab group sooner than later.
The funding wasn’t for you right it was for the lab? So not your responsibility as an undergrad student to worry about it.

This depends on whether the funding is for you or the lab. If it is for you, you need to make an appointment with the Office of Research/Sponsored Projects immediately for damage mitigation as your PI not only crippled you but if you have evidence, this would be substantially a professionalism issue on the faculty member (as in, this gets a nontenured professor a huge black mark and for a tenured professor, probably initiates a post-tenure review). If it is for the lab, switch PI's. You made a major mistake though in telling your toxic PI your desire to switch PI's, because there is no incentive to invest in you anymore.

Agree with above. If it's an NIH grant for the lab then all the switches are gunna lead to difficulty with renewals. If this is your personal grant then you need to reach out to the grantors and research office to describe the situation and request a switch. It's important not only for you to fulfill the grant requirements but for the institution as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.