Signs that I might like Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sincerelyyme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some pre-req classes that a pre-pharmacy student should like to like Pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

What are some pre-req classes that a pre-pharmacy student should like to like Pharmacy?

You mean 'like' as in:

• enjoy learning about ?
  • have a passion for the subject?
  • want to learn beyond the scope of the class by reading on his/her own?
  • have discussions with other students about it just for fun?

I assume you mean what undergrad classes would lead you to believe that you will enjoy being a pharmacist? Several come to mind:

Counting By 5 101 (Counting By 10 for the advanced student)

Insurance Rejection 101 (102 optional but recommended)

Conflict Resolution (the entire series is required)

Misc. Skills (with emphases on labels, standing, and fasting)

OK, for real. If you want to know if you will enjoy being a pharmacist, shadow a pharmacist. No class (and certainly no undergrad class) will indicate that you will enjoy the practise of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like chemistry a lot...especially O Chem. But some of my other prepharm friends like Biology more. I'm not sure there are set subjects that lead a person to believe that they will automatically like pharmacy. I've worked in a hospital pharmacy before and I really enjoyed it. Plus I'm interested when a pharmacist tells me about a drug: what it does, how it works, what it's for, etc.

At first (years ago) I thought I wanted to be an Optometrist. I was in Walmart and walked by the eye place there so I picked up a pamphlet on eye diseases...since, obviously, that would be of interest to me. I couldn't even read the whole thing because I was just not that interested. But I enjoy reading about drugs.

You just have to test the waters in different ways and in different fields before you KNOW it's for you.

Get work experience in a variety of pharmacy settings if you can or try shadowing different types of pharmacists . That will give you a better idea if you will like pharmacy then a pre-req class. Pre-req classes won't tell you much.