Signs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone didn't know what Throckmorton's sign was. Clearly we need to make sure that others know what we're talking about so let's define:
O sign
Q sign
Supratentorial
Code Brown
DFO
BBB2H and BBB2B
PID shuffle
I imagine most know these. Others?

Members don't see this ad.

lolnad=little old lady in no apparent distress
pb3= pine box by bedside
tfte= too fat to evaluate

Members don't see this ad :)
docB said:
Someone didn't know what Throckmorton's sign was. Clearly we need to make sure that others know what we're talking about so let's define:
O sign
Q sign
Supratentorial
Code Brown
DFO
BBB2H and BBB2B
PID shuffle

please define the above for those that dont know

docB said:
O sign
Q sign
Supratentorial
Code Brown
DFO
BBB2H and BBB2B
PID shuffle
OK OK, just single me out! It was me, I didn't know what a Throckmorton sign was! And to think I actually love eponyms and I'm usually the one to remember them all!

As if that's not bad enough, I have to admit that I have no clue what BBB2H and BBB2B are.

Maybe my past four years of medical school and 11 years of working EMS taught me nothing. :(

(Redemption note: I do know what the others are!)

O sign - gorked patient with mouth open (the "O")
Q sign - gorked patient with mouth open and tongue hanging out (the "Q") - a/k/a the "dotted O"
Supratentorial - crazy/insane
Code Brown - bowel movement - a/k/a "the deuce", '10-200'
DFO - "done fell out"; related to the DFOIC - "done fell out in church"
BBB2H and BBB2B - I got no idea
PID shuffle - the way a patient with PID walks - this minimizes cervical motion tenderness, since this moves the cervix minimally; once you see it, you won't miss it.
FDGB - fell down, go boom

Apollyon said:
O sign - gorked patient with mouth open (the "O")
Q sign - gorked patient with mouth open and tongue hanging out (the "Q") - a/k/a the "dotted O"
Supratentorial - crazy/insane
Code Brown - bowel movement - a/k/a "the deuce", '10-200'
DFO - "done fell out"; related to the DFOIC - "done fell out in church"
BBB2H and BBB2B - I got no idea
PID shuffle - the way a patient with PID walks - this minimizes cervical motion tenderness, since this moves the cervix minimally; once you see it, you won't miss it.
FDGB - fell down, go boom

You forgot the most important part:

The O Sign is reversible.

The Q Sign is not.

mike

throckmorten sign is the radiographic finding associated with pelvic films in males where the penis points to the side of the lesion.

i haven't heard the BBB2H or BBB2B, either.

i'll throw this one in from experience though. "polyringia"-- if a patient has more than 3 rings per hand, they will have a comorbid psychiatric Axis II disorder. :cool:

Base Ball Bat to Head and Base Ball Bat to Belly. Often seen together in the same patient.
Microdeckia- Pt not playing with a full deck.
Life saving penile intubation- The foley that the trauma team wants in ASAP (remember in ATLS it's AFBCD).
BRBPR- Bright red blood per rectum

docB said:
Life saving penile intubation- The foley that the trauma team wants in ASAP (remember in ATLS it's AFBCD).

You know, this one is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - in rads conference last week, they were talking about a trauma where the chief went batsh*t wanting that Foley in YESTERDAY. (This was in a woman, though).

You know I was just at the Throckmorton Surgical Society meeting. I wonder if it's the guy who came up with the sign.

TDFD=Too Drunk for Detox
BTJ=Back to Jail -in some ways the easiest dispo
WTBC=Wacky and Tachy by Cracky
WADAO=Weak and Dizzy all over

One that a medic buddy of mine liked a lot for non-transportable cases:

DRT = "Dead Right There"

STFUnGTFO = "Shut The Fsck Up and Get The Fsck Out"

TSTL = "Too Stupid To Live" for Darwin Award candidates, something I always thought should have been included in the DSM-IV.

Members don't see this ad :)
YOYOMF = You're On Your Own My Friend (of course other MF phrases can be substituted for My Friend)

WATBC = Wacky and Tachy by Cracky - Never heard that! Too cool. I got three of these in my ED tonight. One woman comes in with the CC: I've been doing meth for a week and I feel all hyper.
ME (in a perfect world): Sounds like you got your money's worth. Get the hell out of my ER.
ME (in reality): Well lets work your dumb ass up so it'll be harder for you to sue me for the MI you'll eventually give yourself.

HONDA - Hispanic Obese Non-insulin dependent Diabetic with Asthma.

Heard that one was used alot at NYU.

PPP = Piss Poor Protoplasm

WPC = worthless piece of crap

TTRE = Tattoo-to-tooth ratio equal

RHPAW = Rode hard put away wet (my favorite nursing description for those 24 yr old girls that look 40with her 6 kids by bedside)

OBTO = On Back Too Often (how those girls got that way) Also, a great answer to the age old questions--Happies??? how did I catch them?

OU = Ohio Unit--1 Ohio Unit equals roughly 150 pounds. Patients greater than 3 OU are TFTE.

Forgot one of the basics: FLK = Funny Looking Kid

Or the popular as in the previous post:
Positive Tattoo to Tooth Ratio: The more tattoos they have and the fewer teeth they have, the more likely they will survive a major trauma.

My favorite on the wards:
LGFD = Looks good from door (written by attending)
LGFDWWP = as above plus "while walking past"

wing- for my money: ht <6 ft and > 2 o.u.= tfte
there is also something about wt/arm length ratio. the jist is above a certain wt you can't wipe yourself because your arms are too short

FOS or TERDOMA- full of sh**(on abdomenal X-ray)

HLF: Hysterical Latin Female
JFN: Just F*cking Nuts

Q, DO

Somebody posted a "status hispanicus" on one of these things awhile ago. I laughed hard.

throckmorten sign is the radiographic finding associated with pelvic films in males where the penis points to the side of the lesion.

i haven't heard the BBB2H or BBB2B, either.

i'll throw this one in from experience though. "polyringia"-- if a patient has more than 3 rings per hand, they will have a comorbid psychiatric Axis II disorder. :cool:

When I first read that word I thought it was going to be about the patient that doesn't put their Razr on vibrate so at mutliple times during the interview you get to hear "Buy You a Drank" or whatever the latest ****ty overplayed hip-hop song du jour happens to be.

When I first read that word I thought it was going to be about the patient that doesn't put their Razr on vibrate so at mutliple times during the interview you get to hear "Buy You a Drank" or whatever the latest ****ty overplayed hip-hop song du jour happens to be.
Money ain't a thing, Amory. :smuggrin:

Horrendioma= a case that's gonna be a PITA, often due to the TFTE, TTR, and of course my fave, the "45" diagnosis.

45= one chromosome short of a fully functioning person's 46.

I learned a different one for HONDA:

Hypertensive, Obese, Nicotine dependent, Diabetic Asthmatic

HIBGIA = Had It Before Got It Again

KKFCCP -- Koo Koo For Cocoa Puffs.

HONDA - Hispanic Obese Non-insulin dependent Diabetic with Asthma.

Heard that one was used alot at NYU.

Ok... this one's my favorite being in San Antonio... probably the DM2 capital of the United States

I can't believe no one's put this one:

GOMER: Get out of my emergency room.

another one I like:

JACOB Syndrome: No matter how piss drunk someone is passed out on the floor (or vomiting on the floor...) they've had "Just A Couple Of Beers!" (Honest!)

A good all purpose psyche diagnosis:

CAASHaR Syndrome: Crazy As A **** House Rat

ATL w/ PJC's: Acute Tachy-Lordia with Premature Jesus Complexes
(Interestingly, there is a positive corrolation between ATL and TFTE; the higher the OU, the faster the ATL rate. 3OU correlates to ATL of ~140)

I've also heard it referred to as the throgmartin sign :D

Jesus what a bump. I remember this from a while back and had another good laugh today.

TBD - total body dolor

Here's a few from Emergency by Mark Brown:

Chartomegaly
Negative or Positive Wallet Biopsy
Dwindles- failure to thrive in GOMERs
FTD- fixin' to die
Gomergram- shotgun approach to diagnosis because, by definition, GOMERs are too senile to describe their symptoms
Goombah- a worrisome mass or tumor
Porcelain level- crock of ****
Pre-orgasmic Syndome or Irritable Male Syndome
Positive taillight sign- taillights of family dropping off gomer
SPOTAs- I need a written excuse cuz i was spota go to work
terrasphere- dirtball
WNL- we never looked

I learned HONDA as Hypertensive Obese Neurotic Diabetic Alcoholic.