Silly/Stupid things you've said during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thephoenician88

wat.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone was asking about conflict with coworkers, i'd already used several stories earlier and was running out, so I started talking about conflicts with lunch breaks...

I couldn't end that story fast enough.

No idea why I came up with that...

Members don't see this ad.

For me, not necessarily silly things, I found myself rambling....a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree but with an opposite result: I try to avoid rambling like the plague, so once I realize I've gotten in too deep on a thought I'm trying to communicate, I bring it in for an abrupt crash-landing so we can move on to the next question.

One interviewer asked me what made me enthusiastic, and my first gut reaction was to say, "Dancing!" But I did NOT want to say that, so instead I awkwardly listed a bunch of things in my life that I enjoy doing (aside from dancing). I am not one to force an answer when it does not feel natural, which is good but sometimes leads to awkward alternatives when I feel my instinctual answer is not appropriate for the setting. I probably should have responded by talking about what made me "passionate," which would have resulted in some thoughtful answers.

I've noticed during interviews, I become Amelia Bedelia and take the wording of questions way too seriously (another example, I had no idea how to explain how I handle "pressure," because I can't even think of a situation when I've felt pressure, but when they re-worded it to "stress," a lightbulb turned on). Hey-oh! Fun times for all.

I agree but with an opposite result: I try to avoid rambling like the plague, so once I realize I've gotten in too deep on a thought I'm trying to communicate, I bring it in for an abrupt crash-landing so we can move on to the next question.

One interviewer asked me what made me enthusiastic, and my first gut reaction was to say, "Dancing!" But I did NOT want to say that, so instead I awkwardly listed a bunch of things in my life that I enjoy doing (aside from dancing). I am not one to force an answer when it does not feel natural, which is good but sometimes leads to awkward alternatives when I feel my instinctual answer is not appropriate for the setting. I probably should have responded by talking about what made me "passionate," which would have resulted in some thoughtful answers.

I've noticed during interviews, I become Amelia Bedelia and take the wording of questions way too seriously (another example, I had no idea how to explain how I handle "pressure," because I can't even think of a situation when I've felt pressure, but when they re-worded it to "stress," a lightbulb turned on). Hey-oh! Fun times for all.
Yea same, i try to put ramble to a hold after my first one. I realized i was saying things that did NOT need saying :p

I personally think it's okay to say "dancing"...those type of answers lighten up the interview atmosphere a bit. They might then proceed to ask what songs you like to dance to, fave. artist...:)

The crash landing bit comes to mind a lot. I remember I went for an interview where it felt like I was being interviewed for the DOP position because I got interviewed by pharmacists from all over the country through this conference call with more pharmacists staring in my face in the conference room. So one of them on the phone asked me when I came up with a creative idea at work and how I put the idea to action...lol. I started with my previous experiences and half way through it, I honestly forgot what question I had been asked and it would have been silly to ask half way through answering what the question was again....so like the above....I crash landed but thankfully I answered the question in my rambling and their next question was... that's a good idea, how did the team react to that???So sometimes rambling can get you to your desired destination! Fun times...:laugh:

What would be the best advise when you just froze and didn't say anything for at least 1~2 minutes?

Q: "How did you react when you got that C?" (Lowest grade on my transcript)
A: "I was happy because technically I should have failed the class."
*facepalm*

*facepalm*

haha-- i actually LOLed... and I never use LOL...

*facepalm*

OMG.... this made me LOLed as well haha

Members don't see this ad :)
*facepalm*

this is pretty epic lol, i hope it went well man

shot myself in the foot today

left over an hour early for a 20 min ride, and there was an accident. I was gridlocked till I could get to an exit and google myself a way there.

Walked in 15mins late.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::
I was about to have a heart attack
Then I wanted to call them and I didn't have a number and they called me!!!!11111ahhhhhh:scared::scared::scared:
pretty much ruled myself out already.

shot myself in the foot today

left over an hour early for a 20 min ride, and there was an accident. I was gridlocked till I could get to an exit and google myself a way there.

Walked in 15mins late.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::
I was about to have a heart attack
Then I wanted to call them and I didn't have a number and they called me!!!!11111ahhhhhh:scared::scared::scared:
pretty much ruled myself out already.

And when you walked in how did you handle the situation? Did you apologize and get on with the interview...A few blunders, first you should have saved a contact no for the site or at least googled the hospital no and tell them to put you through to pharmacy/PD. That would have saved you them calling you..not a good impression! But I hope you blasted the interview, that might help you some...Good luck!

And when you walked in how did you handle the situation? Did you apologize and get on with the interview...A few blunders, first you should have saved a contact no for the site or at least googled the hospital no and tell them to put you through to pharmacy/PD. That would have saved you them calling you..not a good impression! But I hope you blasted the interview, that might help you some...Good luck!
yea apologized and got to it. Defn a blow against me.

Wasn't a site that I could call.

yea apologized and got to it. Defn a blow against me.

Wasn't a site that I could call.

I wouldn't kill myself over it...An accident on the road=circumstance beyond your control.
Only thing is that you didn't inform them as events was unfolding...Gone now, just hope for the best!

To add to this now that program's ranks are set... :laugh:

I was asked about why xyz program during one interview and I started to talk about my list I made for evaluating programs. I did this in excel and made weighted rank sums for score sorting according to total aggregate score in a variety of characteristics I was looking for (I had like 15-20 columns with 25+ programs to start).

But I was briefly mentioning this and started talking about how much I loved excel and was "really sold on it" and how i'd like to "explore a lot of the other office apps":laugh: I was talking about the really powerful amount of things that you can do with excel (like statistical testing, Monte Carlos -well with addins anyway, stepwise regressions, etc) and access with building databases but I think I came across half looney. I was going to explain and try to recover but just left it at that as I thought I'd loose them even more if I dwelled.

My mba has definitely changed the way I think compared to a lot of rphs...

To add to this now that program's ranks are set... :laugh:

I was asked about why xyz program during one interview and I started to talk about my list I made for evaluating programs. I did this in excel and made weighted rank sums for score sorting according to total aggregate score in a variety of characteristics I was looking for (I had like 15-20 columns with 25+ programs to start).

But I was briefly mentioning this and started talking about how much I loved excel and was "really sold on it" and how i'd like to "explore a lot of the other office apps":laugh: I was talking about the really powerful amount of things that you can do with excel (like statistical testing, Monte Carlos -well with addins anyway, stepwise regressions, etc) and access with building databases but I think I came across half looney. I was going to explain and try to recover but just left it at that as I thought I'd loose them even more if I dwelled.

My mba has definitely changed the way I think compared to a lot of rphs...

:laugh: Wow... doesn't sound bad though. It shows you like computer programs. I'm sure knowing your way around excel and stats will come useful when doing research. :D

Traffic is the worst. Doesn't it always seem like major accidents happen on the days you have to be somewhere?!? I started a new rotation today and left like 30 minutes early "just in case".

I always get asked why I left teaching to go back to school and I inevitably ramble about not feeling I was a great fit for the job. I can't really say I was sick of working ridiculously hard and getting frustrated with lazy students for only $35K and decided it wasn't worth it. Most people who haven't taught don't get why teachers burn out...I mean we have summers off right?!?

My worse answer was to the question "How do you feel about 'any cc'?" I was completely baffled and ran through the possibilities for "cc" --> carbon copy? custard cakes? cute cuddlies? Sadly, I ran through this list aloud (i spoke softly to myself but we were alone in a small room so it seemed louder) and the interviewer looked at me like I was an idiot....which just made me more flustered and started babbling about different types of credit cards. Apparently, he was asking me about "NECC" as in the New England Compounding Center. :(:(:( :beat:

My worse answer was to the question "How do you feel about 'any cc'?" I was completely baffled and ran through the possibilities for "cc" --> carbon copy? custard cakes? cute cuddlies? Sadly, I ran through this list aloud (i spoke softly to myself but we were alone in a small room so it seemed louder) and the interviewer looked at me like I was an idiot....which just made me more flustered and started babbling about different types of credit cards. Apparently, he was asking me about "NECC" as in the New England Compounding Center. :(:(:( :beat:

OMG! I literally laughed out loud.

What did the interview say after you gave your answer?!

:laugh:

Sorry to laugh, but that's funny. To be honest, if someone said "NECC" I would probably be confused. I would know what they meant if the said the whole thing out though. :oops:

I would have had NO IDEA either. I read your story and thought wtf are CCs? He should have said the whole thing to be sure you understood the question!

If I was your interviewer I don't think I'd be able to hold my laugh in o_O

I would have had NO IDEA either. I read your story and thought wtf are CCs? He should have said the whole thing to be sure you understood the question!

I'm sure he did that on purpose to test our knowledge.

OMG! I literally laughed out loud.
What did the interview say after you gave your answer?!

He just kept looking at me, no change of the grim expression on his face. When I started launching into the difference between debit cards & credit cards, he said "NECC as in New England Compounding Center". Me: "oh...well, I think there should be stricter--" Him: "Let's move on". :whoa:

I'm sure he did that on purpose to test our knowledge.

He just kept looking at me, no change of the grim expression on his face. When I started launching into the difference between debit cards & credit cards, he said "NECC as in New England Compounding Center". Me: "oh...well, I think there should be stricter--" Him: "Let's move on". :whoa:

Very good use of that gif. At least you knew what he meant when he mentioned the whole name?...::oops:. Don't sweat it, at least you have a funny interview story and will never forget that acronym for as long as you live haha.