Sim lab Music?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm buying an Apple Watch and among a number of reasons, I like the travel instructions (handy for someone new to NYC) and wireless music control. Do most sim labs play music over a speaker system or do students usually bring their own headphones?

With that being said, should I look into Powerbeats wireless or actual wireless studio or solo beats that come with Bluetooth? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some students bring their own headphones and music player. The sim lab at Columbia does not play music.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm buying an Apple Watch and among a number of reasons, I like the travel instructions (handy for someone new to NYC) and wireless music control. Do most sim labs play music over a speaker system or do students usually bring their own headphones?

With that being said, should I look into Powerbeats wireless or actual wireless studio or solo beats that come with Bluetooth? Thanks
They don't play music in our sim lab but depending on the professor you can listen to your own music while doing lab work.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school does, dunno about CDM.

Skip the beats. Look into Audio-Technica M50x.

I know they aren't the best sound quality for the money but I do recommend the Apple AirPods for a SimLab/pre-clinic setting.

One tap let's you pause your music (or just removing one of the buds from your ear), have great integration with all Apple products, they'll still let you hear a tiny bit of your surroundings (I don't think you'd want to not be able to hear anything in this type of setting), really fast charging and good battery life, and with how small they are, they will never get in your way.

If you want in ear headphones get the Powerbeats. If you want over ear noise cancelling get Bose Quiet Comfort 35.

I know they aren't the best sound quality for the money but I do recommend the Apple AirPods for a SimLab/pre-clinic setting.

One tap let's you pause your music (or just removing one of the buds from your ear), have great integration with all Apple products, they'll still let you hear a tiny bit of your surroundings (I don't think you'd want to not be able to hear anything in this type of setting), really fast charging and good battery life, and with how small they are, they will never get in your way.
The thing is my ears hate the design of the standard apple headphones so I feel airpods won't stick. Plus they don't seem efficient for working out. Powerbeats/ beats headphones seem to fit the bill easier. But 300 is crazy just so they can be wireless

The thing is my ears hate the design of the standard apple headphones so I feel airpods won't stick. Plus they don't seem efficient for working out. Powerbeats/ beats headphones seem to fit the bill easier. But 300 is crazy just so they can be wireless
Powerbeats3 wireless are $199. Pretty sure they're even cheaper at Walmart. It's an investment. Cords don't get in your way when in sim lab and it's a perfect sound quality at a reasonable price so you can listen to your favorite music and make the sim grind more enjoyable.
Don't get wired you don't want it messing with your work. Also they're the ultimate gym headphones
Not to mention they're stylish af

Powerbeats3 wireless are $199. Pretty sure they're even cheaper at Walmart. It's an investment. Cords don't get in your way when in sim lab and it's a perfect sound quality at a reasonable price so you can listen to your favorite music and make the sim grind more enjoyable.
Don't get wired you don't want it messing with your work. Also they're the ultimate gym headphones
Not to mention they're stylish af
Nah I need that rose gold beats to match my rose gold iphone 7+ 256gb and apple watch rose gold. Talk about stylish

Are you a guy or a girl?
Up to youuu I feel like with over ear headphones in sim lab you can't hear what you're doing and is kinda antisocial but what do I know

heres a question...are you going to use them for anything else? if you're going to workout with them, i would say the powerbeats.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want in ear headphones get the Powerbeats. If you want over ear noise cancelling get Bose Quiet Comfort 35.
Best headphones in the game by FAR! After an hour you don't even feel them on your head anymore. But yeah, I feel like I wouldn't wear these in lab due to the antisocial aspect. Plus nobody likes talking to someone who they have repeat their sentence to a million times due to their bad-A headphones

If you care about audiophile quality sound, then get the Sennheiser HD 650s paired with a good DAC and amp. Anything else in that price range doesn't compare... it is the most recommended pair of headphones in the audiophile community. These have been highly regarded for the past 14 years.

If you care about audiophile quality sound, then get the Sennheiser HD 650s paired with a good DAC and amp. Anything else in that price range doesn't compare... it is the most recommended pair of headphones in the audiophile community. These have been highly regarded for the past 14 years.

Something like that is absolutely useless if you're not listening to lossless audio. You're really not going to be able to tell the difference between a 100-200 dollar pair of headphones and the Sennheisers otherwise

Powerbeats seems to be the power move here, no pun intended. Working out + I hate the isolated feeling my old studio beats give me

i love my powerbeats so much that i bought two....mainly cause i accidentally left my first pair in the wash and it broke.

Powerbeats seems to be the power move here, no pun intended. Working out + I hate the isolated feeling my old studio beats give me

also if you have access to costco, u can always get it there and return them when u break em. #costcowarranty #workingthesystem #dollarfiddyhotdog

Something like that is absolutely useless if you're not listening to lossless audio. You're really not going to be able to tell the difference between a 100-200 dollar pair of headphones and the Sennheisers otherwise

They're in the same price range as the other pairs recommended, might as well get a pair that sound great even at lossless quality (or any quality; they have high ohm wires). They're a good pair.

But if you're going into simlab, better to get in-ear buds. Your loupes and light wires get in the way less.

Reactions: 2 users
That's true if you're comparing mid level headphones from Senn, Grado, AKG, A-T, etc to the high ends of those brands.

But Bose uses like Phillips drivers. They are a marketing company which happens to sell consumer audio equipment. There's a reason that they buy their own booths in retail environments. ABing and diagnostics are not kind to them.

As a former pro audio career guy, I'd recommend getting Shure or Etymotic earbuds for a lab setting. Great audio quality, multiple tips to find a comfortable fit, costs less than these full-size cans.

Bluetooth buds + high quality sound is sort of oxymoronic -- esp. if you use your phone or other non-specialized devices to broadcast the signal. Save yourself the $ and grab something that is comfortable / has a decent battery life.

I would like to suggest that anyone starting out in sim lab, or anyone not yet confident in their hand skills and preps, don't use headphones yet. You really need to hear the handpiece and get used to how much input is needed on the rheostat, and how that affects the pitch (speed) of the handpiece. Again, just until you're comfortable with your abilities.

I would like to suggest that anyone starting out in sim lab, or anyone not yet confident in their hand skills and preps, don't use headphones yet. You really need to hear the handpiece and get used to how much input is needed on the rheostat, and how that affects the pitch (speed) of the handpiece. Again, just until you're comfortable with your abilities.
That's a great point. But he will be attending Columbia and so clinical education isn't that important or stressed so he'll be okay.

Gotta start early on that tinnitis.

Your neighbors would hate you if you used open headphones like the 650s in sim-clin/pre-clin lol.