Carbide burs in Sim Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentiDDS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am finishing my D1 year and had a few questions about burs. My program suggests that we use 330/245 carbide burs in sim lab. While I do like these burs, I cant get over how quickly they become dull. I am having such a hard time developing hand skills because it feels like it takes a different level of pressure for every bur I use. I will buy a new bur, it will cut great, and after 3-4 typodont teeth, it requires so much force to get it to cut that it will slip way too far. Did anyone make the switch to diamond burs for this reason? A doctor I shadowed said she uses a new 330 every procedure for this reason which of course is not feasible while in school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I am finishing my D1 year and had a few questions about burs. My program suggests that we use 330/245 carbide burs in sim lab. While I do like these burs, I cant get over how quickly they become dull. I am having such a hard time developing hand skills because it feels like it takes a different level of pressure for every bur I use. I will buy a new bur, it will cut great, and after 3-4 typodont teeth, it requires so much force to get it to cut that it will slip way too far. Did anyone make the switch to diamond burs for this reason? A doctor I shadowed said she uses a new 330 every procedure for this reason which of course is not feasible while in school.

Thanks
Do you mean the cost of a new bur is not feasible?
(That might be "Penny wise and pound foolish" thinking.)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mean the cost of a new bur is not feasible?
(That might be "Penny wise and pound foolish" thinking.)
I guess buying a new bur for every day in sim lab does sound a little ridiculous, do people really do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess buying a new bur for every day in sim lab does sound a little ridiculous, do people really do this?
3 points-
1) When you figure DS is costing you about $50 and hour the cost of a new bur in lab is peanuts in the grand scale of things.
2) If you always start with a new bur the "feel" of the bur is consistent. I contend that tactile learning is one of the most important things to learn in dentistry. So try to make that feel consistent and predictable.
3) If the big boys in the real world are using a new bur every time would you you not try to do the same thing in the SIM world. (Train as you fight/Fight as you train --- as we used to say in the military.)

Reactions: 1 user
Happens to everyone, just have to deal with it and know when to switch to a fresh bur to keep going

Use new for tests, otherwise few uses of every bur is fine

I was swapping out for a new bur every time as well. I did switch to diamonds for that reason and the fact that diamonds just make way smoother preps. Was able to use one 330 diamond for months before I had to replace it as long as I cleaned it. At this point I never use carbides outside of round burs and will seek out diamond equivalents if they don't come in my schools kit.