Sim lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity and to the benefit of those applying to schools, how many schools have sim labs?

I know of:

Arizona
Nova
UF
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Detroit-Mercy

Members don't see this ad :)
Marquette - since sept 2002

Don't quote me on this, but I heard Baylor just renovated there whole lab. Maybe those who have interviewed at Baylor can tell us if they have a Sim Lab or not, but I think they do

UCSF just renovated.

CASE has the best SIM lab. If you guys are somewhere in cleveland, check it out. It's awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPenn is the 2nd largest w/ 15 Simlab units? Is that right? I'm assuming each Simlab unit has 4-5 chairs w/ it. :confused: I know Nova has a bigger simlab...and of course NYU has ~100 chairs in its Simlab.

BTW, to the UPenn students: you can wear jeans/sneakers in lab?

Post was taken off upon request...lol ;)

Iowa for quite a while now.

I am pretty sure that UCSF does not have a sim lab. correct me if I am wrong anybody at UCSF, but when I interveiwed there last year they did not have one

UPenn uses the "Dent-Sim" units, and their website says they have the second largest group of those in the country. It isn't the second-largest sim lab in the country.

Arizona has 54 brand new sim mannequins and 54 chairs.

zippy,

the sim lab at UCSF was just renovated this past summer. When did u interview?

We have flat screen monitor installed and stuff. There will be more nice stuff to come. Our class is the first to use this lab.

And the dentsim is also installed this summer. D3 and D4 have been using it for awhile.

Our class will start dentsim tomorrow.

UW has one and VCU is getting one.

This is great!!!

NYU
Nova
Arizona
Case Western
UPenn
BU
UCSF
Upitt
Louisville
Baylor
Marquette
UOP
Columbia
Detroit-Mercy
Florida
Indiana in 3 years
UCSF
Tufts
Iowa
UW
VCU (future)

Point Of Clarification

Sim lab does not equal DentSims

I believe that the initial poster wanted to know about Sim Labs at dental schools and not DentSims.

U. Penn may be the second in the number of DentSim they have at the time of the news release.

Sim lab is simply a simulation laboratory where you have mannequins as patients. Older dental schools did not have this where they only have laboratory benches. Therefore when a dental school renovates or remodels, they install simulation mannequins.

DentSim is a different thing all together.

Yup, dentsim and simlab are two different things.

simlab is more or less preclinical lab
dentsim is something else. I guess the link gives better explanation than I do.