Similar situation? please advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ennis80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the WAMC thread but I thought I could get some responses here from people who have been in similar situations.

I am a non-traditional applicant. My UGPA: 3.30 as calculated by my school. 3.08 calculated by AMCAS. I am currently completing the pre-reqs as a post bacc student. If I complete the pre-reqs with a 4.0 my UGPA will be 3.26 AMCAS and BCPM will be 3.38. I also have a masters degree in human services with a 4.0 graduate gpa. I have been working for over two years as a case manager in a community health center in a rural/underserved area. I have other healthcare experience as well (CNA & EMT). I have extensive research experience in grad school including publications, and local, state, nationa, and international presentations. These are only the highlights. I have not taken the MCAT. I will not do so until next spring and I understand this is also a big factor. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes and scored 26 or higher on the MCAT, with no subsection below an 8, I'd apply to DO schools.

1)Commit yourself to getting that 4.0 in your prereqs. This is the key. Ending your academic record with an unbroken chain of A's will do alot to alleviate doubts about your below average ugrad GPA. Try to take your prereqs at a 4 year college instead of a CC.
2)Commit yourself to getting a 30+ in the MCAT, preferably mid 30s. Clear your plate when preparing. Take a lot of timed practice MCATs.
3)Continue to expand your ECs in as much as it doesn't hinder 1) and 2).
4)Apply early and broadly
5)Don't rush the process by taking on too much at once. The application process is an expensive one and one you only want to do once.

Assuming you accomplish the 4.0 in your prereqs and 30+ MCAT I think you're pretty competitive at low/mid tier allos and DOs. You've got an interesting healthcare background and a compelling story to tell.

GOOD LUCK! I'll be rooting for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
1)Commit yourself to getting that 4.0 in your prereqs. This is the key. Ending your academic record with an unbroken chain of A's will do alot to alleviate doubts about your below average ugrad GPA. Try to take your prereqs at a 4 year college instead of a CC.
2)Commit yourself to getting a 30+ in the MCAT, preferably mid 30s. Clear your plate when preparing. Take a lot of timed practice MCATs.
3)Continue to expand your ECs in as much as it doesn't hinder 1) and 2).
4)Apply early and broadly
5)Don't rush the process by taking on too much at once. The application process is an expensive one and one you only want to do once.

This is really good advice. Especially about not rushing the process. Unfortunately given your lower GPA it's important that everything from here on out is solid, so you can prove that you can handle everything now. Also, I can't emphasize how important it is to apply early. Be complete at schools in June and you will have a HUGE advantage over others.

You need to focus on academics now. Complete your prerequisite courses and do very well (A or A- in all would be good). After that, take the MCAT. You need to do well...you might want to consider a prep course because you can't afford to screw up. To be competitive for MD schools you'd definitely need >30 MCAT I would think. For DO schools you might get in with mid to high 20's.

Your medically-related health care experience is good, but it won't get you in without a good MCAT score. The medical schools have to know that you can do the work and pass your exams.

I concur with the above posters. >30 and you've got a good shot at an allo school. <27 apply mostly osteo programs. Get in the 30ish range and apply to both and see what happens.

Don't be afraid of schools that don't have many non-trads. I had better luck at a school with mean intro age of 23, because my colorful past stood out among the many straight-from-undergrad applicants. At some other schools, being non-trad wasn't so atypical.

I had a similar-ish background and got into 1 allo program (waitlisted at the other two allo schools that I received interviews) and was accepted to all the osteo programs to which I applied. I had a 3.0-ish uGPA, 3.8 gGPA and 33 MCAT.

Thank you all for the responses. It is really helpful to have advice from people who have been in a similar situation.