Simple airway invention....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why dont they simply make a glidescope stylet that can flex by manipulating a lever kind of like a FOB scope? Retroflexing straightens it out for easier passage past the tongue.... In neutral it is curls back to the shape of a standard glidescope stylet... Antegrade flexing makes it curl more for really anterior airways.

Standard Fob + glidescope sounds good in theory but really not that great in practice. It does work and ive done it a handful of times. But in reality it doesnt work all the time because the angle the Fob scope curls is not steep enough for the glidescopes blade angle. Only the last couple inches curl, whereas with a glidescope u need a more of a general curve throughout the stylet. A flexible stylet would be the answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Look up the Airway RIFLE.
Glidescope and RIFLE sound like what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wanted a reusesable stylet that can be manipulated like the FO...well, and an easily inserted nasal lma...but that's wishful thinking
if they can make an aortic valve that is inserted via the femoral artery, they should be able to make an LMA that goes through the nose :D

and the endotrol sucks - way too flimsy and gets kinkier than a drunken sorority girl at a halloween frat party

One of my partners was interested in a plastic stylet that you could pull on like an Endotrol tube to flex it. It didn't look that robust, and it never caught on at work. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called

Reactions: 1 user
so you are asking for something that flexes at multiple points i.e. "not like a bronchoscope"?

No flexs like a broch scope but more of a general curve. The air rifle is similar to what im taking about.. But its too complex... Something like it without all the fiberoptic attachments. Simple and robust stylet. I do like the squeeze to bend mechanics of the air rifle. A simple stylet like it with just the trigger portion with easy turnover.

The air rifle is a pretty cool concept as well, as it eliminates the need for glidecope altogether. Ive never seen that before. But i could imagine turn over and setup of such a device would take long. The glidescope is nice cause its easy to setup and turn over especially with the disposable blades.

One of my partners was interested in a plastic stylet that you could pull on like an Endotrol tube to flex it. It didn't look that robust, and it never caught on at work. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called
Google for endotrol tracheal tube

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21948313

Looks like someone thought of this and not too successful. Gliderite stylet = normal glidescope stylet.

I do think an actual rigid flexible stylet would work way better than a bendable tube.