Simple ira

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Let me introduce you to my friend Google. A great stock (thus far) but an even better search engine.

Also, I am happy to announce that there are several seats left in ActiveDutyMD's master class, "Sarcasm, the 21st Century mode of communication". I would take the class, but I believe I got AP credit for it.

:laugh:

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SIMPLE IRAs can be a great way to shield some of your self-employment income from taxes. For 2008, the amount you can contribute to your SIMPLE is the lesser of $10,500 or your net self-employment income - plus you can then contribute another 3 percent of your net self-employment income. Anyone 50 or older by December 31st can contribute an additional $2,500.

If you think a SIMPLE is the best retirement plan option for you, you only have until 10/1/08 to establish one for 2008.

Another caveat. The $10,500 you can contribute to the SIMPLE is considered "salary deferrals". For 2008, your total salary deferrals are generally capped at $15,500 (or $20,500 if 50 or older.) So if you're maxing out your salary deferrals through another employer, then the SIMPLE probably won't do you much good at all. Instead, a SEP might be the way to do.

I wrote an article about the various retirement plans available for self-employed individuals, which you can find at: http://www.mdtaxes.com/news0706.html. Please note that this article was written a few years back, so while the concepts are still valid, some of the limits have increased a little bit since then.