Simple math question proportions

Shjanzey

7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2012
  1. Medical Student
Lets say you have:

KE = 1/2mv^2 and then you double KE. The velocity increases by a factor of square root 2. Can someone show the algebraic steps to this. Thank you

The equation for KE is K = (1/2)*mv^2

So you solve for v

v1 = sqrt(2K/m)

Now double K (kinetic energy) to see what happens

v2 = sqrt((2*2K)/m) --> sqrt(4K/m)

If you compare the two, v2 has increased by sqrt(2).

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would think about it like this:

You can't increase mass, so you must increase velocity, right? We want the total KE doubled, so:

KE = (1/2)*m*(v)^2

needs to become

KE = 2*(1/2)*m*(v)^2

This means we need to put something into the parentheses that contain "v" that, when squared (and thus pulled out from the parentheses under the exponent), will give us a coefficient of 2. What can we put in as a coefficient of "v" that will be squared to yield 2? The square root of 2 of course.

About the Ads

Hemorrage

Ambrose
7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2011
  1. Medical Student
I would think about it like this:

You can't increase mass, so you must increase velocity, right? We want the total KE doubled, so:

KE = (1/2)*m*(v)^2

needs to become

KE = 2*(1/2)*m*(v)^2

This means we need to put something into the parentheses that contain "v" that, when squared (and thus pulled out from the parentheses under the exponent), will give us a coefficient of 2. What can we put in as a coefficient of "v" that will be squared to yield 2? The square root of 2 of course.

Very intuitive method

MD9

Jan 27, 2013
Hopefully this is what you're looking for. If you need any more explanation, please let me know!

ZltsWv8.jpg

You can see that instead of doubling the K.E., if we generalize and say we multiply it by some number n, then the result will be that the new velocity, v2, is equal to the initial velocity, v1, multiplied by the square root of n (i.e. just replace "2" in "2K.E." with the variable "n" to get n*K.E. and the result should be v2=sqrt(n)*v1).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.