simple physics mechanics problem

Started by cloak25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cloak25

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your car starts from rest and accelerates to 60 miles per hour in 6 seconds. How far did your car travel in meters?

Can someone do this and post their answer? I found this on some site but I'm getting a different answer than them. Just wanted to double check. 🙂
 
isn't acceleration just 10m/s^2 from a = dV/dT. Where did the 64 come from?? Also the answer they got was 80.5m. I got 180m. It seems we all got different answers😕
 
isn't acceleration just 10m/s^2 from a = dV/dT. Where did the 64 come from?? Also the answer they got was 80.5m. I got 180m. It seems we all got different answers😕

Mind the units. 😉 dV is 60 miles per hour - you want to convert that to meters per second.
With that said, I made a mistake too - 18 km/h is 18/3.6 m/s=5m/s, not 18*3.6.

So the correct answer should be:
a=dV/dT=60 mph/6s=10mph/s=18kmph/s=5m/s^2
d=at^/2=5*6^2/2=5*18=90 m

That puts me fairly close to what they did - fixing the 10 mph->18kmph conversion to be more precise and should get you even closer.

Edit:
I really should mind the units myself. The 10->18 conversion is for nautical miles. Statue miles are 10->16. Which makes the really, really correct solution:

a=dV/dT=60 mph/6s=10mph/s=16kmph/s=4.5m/s^2
d=at^/2=4.5*6^2/2=4.5*18=81 m
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Assuming he/she is constantly accelerating. V avg = 0 + 60 / (2) = 30 mph
30 mph(1 hr/3600s)(6s)(1608 meters/mile) = 80 ish meters
 
Last edited:
Wow this one actually had me in a knot for a good 15 minutes

I'm sure you know how to solve it now, but for those who had the same trouble I had:

1. Be sure to read the question! All of the information given to you is in miles/hr but they want m/s

2. Do your conversion for V: Vf = 60 miles/hr
(60 miles / 1 hour) * (1.6 km / 1 mile) * (1000 m / 1 km) * (1 hr / 3600 sec) = 26.67 m/s
Miles and miles cancels, km and km cancel, hours and hours cancel, and you are left with m/s

3. Plug into your a = v/t formula, where a is equal to 26.67 m/s / 6 seconds = around 4.5 is your acceleration

4. Plug 4.5 into your acceleration, 6 for your time, and 0 for Vo into:
x = Vot + 1/2at^2 or Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

5. Solve for x and you are done! I got around 80.1 using a calculator with the exact numbers mentioned above (I guess the math for the conversion from miles to km was a little different in the answer key maybe?)
 
Mind the units. 😉 dV is 60 miles per hour - you want to convert that to meters per second.
With that said, I made a mistake too - 18 km/h is 18/3.6 m/s=5m/s, not 18*3.6.

So the correct answer should be:
a=dV/dT=60 mph/6s=10mph/s=18kmph/s=5m/s^2
d=at^/2=5*6^2/2=5*18=90 m

That puts me fairly close to what they did - fixing the 10 mph->18kmph conversion to be more precise and should get you even closer.

Edit:
I really should mind the units myself. The 10->18 conversion is for nautical miles. Statue miles are 10->16. Which makes the really, really correct solution:

a=dV/dT=60 mph/6s=10mph/s=16kmph/s=4.5m/s^2
d=at^/2=4.5*6^2/2=4.5*18=81 m

Is miles to meters something we should worry about memorizing?
 
Assuming he/she is constantly accelerating. V avg = 0 + 60 / (2) = 30 mph
30 mph(1 hr/3600s)(6s)(1608 meters/mile) = 80 ish meters
This is what I did to solve the problem and, in my opinion, is far quicker than any other suggested method.

x = (1/2) * (Vo + V) * t

x = displacement
Vo = initial velocity
V = final velocity
t = time